Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need some help understanding my Parents visa conditions for 8558.

8558 - Maximum 12 months stay in 18 months

In a hurry I booked their flights from 25/03 arriving in Sydney on 26/03/2018 and leaving Sydney on 28/06/2018.

Each time i read the conditions i just go blank :confused:

Upon reading further on the Grant letter i noticed "Length of stay 3 month(s) from the date of each arrival "

Should i change the date of departure as it is more than 3 months? Will they breach the Visa conditions.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If the stay period is only 3 months, then yes, they need to be out of the country before that stay period expires or they will have overstayed. Best not to wait until the day of to leave either (a week before at least). Just look at what happened at Sydney airport with flight delays. I secretly wondered to myself how many people that day overstayed their visas by waiting until the last minute to leave and then delays out of their control happened.

And maximum 12 months stay in 18 months means just that. 12 months only allowed in total in 18 months, adding up all the individual visits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the stay period is only 3 months, then yes, they need to be out of the country before that stay period expires or they will have overstayed. Best not to wait until the day of to leave either (a week before at least). Just look at what happened at Sydney airport with flight delays. I secretly wondered to myself how many people that day overstayed their visas by waiting until the last minute to leave and then delays out of their control happened.

And maximum 12 months stay in 18 months means just that. 12 months only allowed in total in 18 months, adding up all the individual visits.
Thanks for the quick response

Yea i booked the flights before reading the other condition printed further up the letter.

Sometimes people could miss these small conditions.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Always best to read the entire grant letter upon receiving it. At least you caught yourself! Some people don't and then come here asking how to remedy a terrible situation.

But yeah, if it's multiple entries with 3 month stay periods, they can always come back again for another 3 month stay. They can even grab cheap flights to Bali or some other country nearby and come back to reset that stay period. Just watch out for the 12 months in 18 months though if they end up staying quite a bit.

Edit: Cruises don't count so they need to actually fly out of the country and back to reset the stay period.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thanks for the quick response

Yea i booked the flights before reading the other condition printed further up the letter.

Sometimes people could miss these small conditions.
I always advise people to print out their visa grant letters so they can read them properly and also keep them for future reference, but very few do, sometimes with calamitous and very expensive consequences.

It is always best to print out all letters you receive from Immigration. They do contain a lot of important information and can't be read properly on small hand-held devices.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always best to read the entire grant letter upon receiving it. At least you caught yourself! Some people don't and then come here asking how to remedy a terrible situation.

But yeah, if it's multiple entries with 3 month stay periods, they can always come back again for another 3 month stay. They can even grab cheap flights to Bali or some other country nearby and come back to reset that stay period. Just watch out for the 12 months in 18 months though if they end up staying quite a bit.

Edit: Cruises don't count so they need to actually fly out of the country and back to reset the stay period.
Thankyou Sky

I guess i was way too excited and just read the first few lines and booked the flights. Silly Mistake

Oh well will just have to pay extra to change the flights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.