Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mates,

I'm a 17-year old guy from Sweden who's seriously considering travelling to Australia next summer (your winter) and study for 12 months. I'm really fascinated by the stereotypical Australian lifestyle and laid back attitude, which kinda is what's forcing me to come to stay there.

Though as I'm a relatively shy person I'm a little concerned about how well I'll be able to make friends, get to know people and how I'll be recepted. Of course it shouldn't be a problem if I'm a little forward, though that concern basically is what's keeping me from booking a flight right away. And then there's another minor problem: I can't seem to make up my mind about what town I wanna stay in.. Gotta contain a university, something to during the evenings and nights, somewhere to swim and then if there would be somewhere to surf that would be a big plus.

So that's me in a nutshell and those are the problems I'm probably gonna make posts about in these forums. 'Til then, ciao!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think I am also a shy person, but when I started traveling, I found it really easy to meet people. I don't think it would matter wherever you traveled to, I am sure you will find it easier to make friends while traveling and living in another country.

Australians are pretty friendly people and people tend just to chat away with each other like they have known each other their whole lives. I would suggest maybe just picking up a lonely planet guide and taking a look through some of the different towns and cities. It shouldn't bee too hard to find your ideal place.

Deakin university is in Geelong (south eastern part of Australia). It is about one hour from Melbourne and close to the famous surfing beaches of Torquay and Bells Beach. It does get cold in winter though, but you can still surf with a wet suit. If you want the warmer weather you might want to look for somewhere in Queensland.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.