Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tricky questions when understand and calculate the 4 years for citizenship. Below is my situation:

I was holding a 457 visa from July 2015 - Sep 2017.
In this period, physically in Au from Mar 2016 - Sep 2017

Then left Au in Oct 2017 and now I am applying a 189 visa.

Supposing the 189 visa can be processed quickly and I will arrive in AU and physically stay there.

When calculate the 4 year time for citizenship, in order to count in the time I spent in Au while holding 457, when will be the last day that I have to get back to AU with a 189 visa?

My understanding is Sep 2018, as that would be 12 month I am away from AU. If I can get back to AU by Sep 2018, then I only need to spend another 2 years to be qualified to apply citizenship. The 4 year calculation would be from Sep 2016 - Sep 2020, with 12 month absence (Sep 2017 - Sep 2018).

Is my understanding correct? This calculation is quite important to me as I need to plan all the relocation for the family.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My suggestion is to ask this question again in August.

There is potential for change to citizenship requirements.

Just for my clarity - have you held a visa between sep 17 and now? If no the below is irrelevant and you won't be able to count the 457 time as you need to have held a valid visa the 4 years prior. If so your eligable date will be 4 years after your grant date assuming you don't leave for the stated times.

If you have and currently do hold a visa since Sep17 then please continue with the below.

Under current rules you will be eligable March 20, as long as your visa is granted Sep 18 and you renter then as well and also assuming that those 12 months is the only time you have been absent - you won't be able to leave again as you've used your total time absent in the 4 years.

Your initial entry date March 16 + 4 years = March 20
Your time spent outside of Australia = 364 days Sep 17 to Sep 18
Your time on a PR visa Sep 18 -> March 20 = meets 12 months pr requirements.
No further absence from Australia = meets not outside for 90 days within 12 months immediatly preceding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.