Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to fill out my Australian partners details on a student visa application under "Accompanying member of the family unit" but the application asks for his passport details and he doesn't have one.

When I press the question mark for help it says:

"Note: If any non-migrating family member listed in this application does not hold a valid passport, you can enter their name and date of birth but leave any passport details questions blank."

I did this but I can't move forward in the application because errors are popping up showing that I need to fill in his passport details.

What should I do?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Hello,

I'm trying to fill out my Australian partners details on a student visa application under "Accompanying member of the family unit" but the application asks for his passport details and he doesn't have one.

When I press the question mark for help it says:

"Note: If any non-migrating family member listed in this application does not hold a valid passport, you can enter their name and date of birth but leave any passport details questions blank."

I did this but I can't move forward in the application because errors are popping up showing that I need to fill in his passport details.

What should I do?

Thanks
Is your partner an Australian Citizen? if so you cant included them as they cant be issued a visa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your partner an Australian Citizen? if so you cant included them as they cant be issued a visa.
He is an Australian Citizen and I'm in a defacto relationship with him. I can't move forward in the application even if I say there are no accompanying members of my family unit because my relationship status is defacto.

·
Registered
796 Posts
He is an Australian Citizen and I'm in a defacto relationship with him. I can't move forward in the application even if I say there are no accompanying members of my family unit because my relationship status is defacto.
As he is already a citizen he can't migrate.
While you declare the relationship you don't add him as a migrating family member.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As he is already a citizen he can't migrate.
While you declare the relationship you don't add him as a migrating family member.
Ok, so this is the error that pops up for me:

"An error has occurred
The applicant has selected a relationship status of "Married" or "De Facto" on the Primary applicant page but has not added details of a spouse or de facto partner. The applicant will not be able to continue and should review and update the details of any Accompanying and Non-accompanying members of the family unit."

Again, I can not add him as an accompanying member of my family unit because the application is asking for his passport but he doesn't have one. There is no option for me to say that he is just an Australian Citizen with no passport.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... So, Should I just put my relationship status as single so that I can finish my application with no errors popping up asking for my defacto details and attach a document stating my relationship status with my partners details or what?

Again, there is no page on my application other than "accompanying member of the family unit" to add my partners details.

I feel its sort of important to add his details considering we may eventually apply for a partner visa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, when one is applying for a student visa on page 6 it asks:

"Accompanying members of the family unit
Are there any accompanying members of the family unit included in this application?"

There is then a question mark that one can press for assistance in filling out the form and it states:

"Non-migrating members of the family unit

List all members of your family unit who are not applying to migrate with you. This includes your Australian citizen family members.

In some circumstances, non-migrating family members may be required to undergo health and character clearances.

Refer to the Department’s website for more information.

Note: If any non-migrating family member listed in this application does not hold a valid passport, you can enter their name and date of birth but leave any passport details questions blank."

I can't understand why you are saying that I can't add my partner because he is an Australian Citizen but the application is asking me to add him.

My issue here is that he does not have a passport yet the application insists on his passport details.

I've followed the instructions in case a family member does not have a passport by only filling in his name and date of birth while leaving any other passport details blank but errors still come up.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
If you're going to apply for a partner visa eventually, you want to show your status as de facto already in your student visa application so that any time in your relationship up to now can be included. Why doesn't he just bite the bullet now and get a passport?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're going to apply for a partner visa eventually, you want to show your status as de facto already in your student visa application so that any time in your relationship up to now can be included. Why doesn't he just bite the bullet now and get a passport?
He isn't getting a passport because he doesn't plan on leaving the country soon. Why should he just get a passport just to have his passport details added to my application? Even if he were to apply it would take time to get it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Because my relationship status is Defacto I have to add my partners details whether he is from another country or not. So how do you add an Australian partner's details to a student visa application when one does not have a passport?

For sure this can not be the first case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If no one knows the answer then what would be a better choice:

1) Just typing "no passport" where the application asks for a passport number and just give random dates for the passports expiry and any Australian city as the place of issue....( I figure who ever is going to look over the application they will see that my partner doesn't have a passport so any passport details that are added are irrelevant )

or

2) Have my relationship status as single but attach a document stating I'm in a defacto relationship and that errors occurred while trying to fill in my partners details.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I assume they ask the passport info because they want a valid identity document and that's the one they choose to request. You can try to put "no passport" to see if it will let you progress further. I think you would be better off trying to make sure you can complete your application with the de facto statement. Attachments can get lost or overlooked and trying to explain a "single" status when you later apply for a partner visa is probably a headache you don't want.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.