Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Being a computing professional that lacks any tertiary qualifications I read with interest that the ACS will allow certain vendor certifications to be used to qualify for a Group B skills assessment in lieu of graduate paperwork.

What I'm interested to know is whether my current experience ( 6+ years as a Flash programmer ) can be married to ( on the face of it ) an unrelated vendor qualification such as a NET MCTS from Microsoft,which the ACS reports they DO recognize.

Ideally I would wish to get certified to a level equivalent to an Australian Diploma in ICT ( as specified by the ACS ) which in addition to my 6 years experience in an ostensibly separate computing field would qualify me for Group B Assessment.

Do any certifications have to be backed up by relevant experience in that exact computing field, or will my current ICT experience plus certifications ( that I will subsequently undertake purely for the sake of qualifying for a skills assessment ) suffice for assessment purposes? I'm curious as to whether certification and experience can be considered two separate entities in the 'IT professional' pot

Anyone have experience of anything similar?

Many thanks,

Rossco

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello All,

Being a computing professional that lacks any tertiary qualifications I read with interest that the ACS will allow certain vendor certifications to be used to qualify for a Group B skills assessment in lieu of graduate paperwork.

What I'm interested to know is whether my current experience ( 6+ years as a Flash programmer ) can be married to ( on the face of it ) an unrelated vendor qualification such as a NET MCTS from Microsoft,which the ACS reports they DO recognize.

Ideally I would wish to get certified to a level equivalent to an Australian Diploma in ICT ( as specified by the ACS ) which in addition to my 6 years experience in an ostensibly separate computing field would qualify me for Group B Assessment.

Do any certifications have to be backed up by relevant experience in that exact computing field, or will my current ICT experience plus certifications ( that I will subsequently undertake purely for the sake of qualifying for a skills assessment ) suffice for assessment purposes? I'm curious as to whether certification and experience can be considered two separate entities in the 'IT professional' pot

Anyone have experience of anything similar?

Many thanks,

Rossco
You ought to have a good read of all the links on the ACS site and for more detail than what you find there, it'll be best to contact them or just see if you feel you match up close enough to what they require to put an application in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say:
They need you to have "Sufficient Qualification" + "sufficient Experience" both. That's why they have also categorized a separately when someone doesn't have tertiary qualification. You can check it on new PASA Guidelines launched on 1 July 2010.
Here are the Guidelines:

If No tertiary qualification.
Then Application has to be through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Also:
At least eight (8) years of full time professional ICT
work experience in a field closely related to the
nominated occupation.

So in that case, one needs to have 8 Years of exp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.