Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help with my questions:

Situation:
My partner is a New Zealand citizen and he has been permanently living in Australia since 2009 on the SCV visa (subclass 444). I am a Polish national on a 2nd year Working Holiday Visa (subclass 462). We're looking into the best options to enable me to stay in Australia.

Visa options:
In my understanding, the best solution would be for my partner to apply for the 189 visa under the New Zealand stream (he fills all the requirements) and add me in his visa application as his de facto partner.

Questions:
We have been in a relationship for over 12 months and have been living together since 6 months. We intend to officially register our relation as a civil partnership.

- Can we immediately lodge the visa application once we obtain the de facto partnership certificate? Or is there any specific timeframe before we can apply?

As a secondary applicant, I understand I only need to meet the health and character requirements (and I am not concerned by the 5-year residency in AU/ income requirements)?

After lodging the application, we will both be granted a bridging visa. My current visa (Working Holiday) expires in 04/2020:
- Will the bridging visa replace my current visa? Or does it run in the background until my current visa expires?
- On the bridging visa, will I get the same working rights as my partner? Or am I going to have the same work limitations as on my current visa (Working Holiday: 6 months with one employer)

Thank you for your help and have a good day!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
If you have enough evidence of your de facto relationship for >12 months, you don't need the partnership certificate when you lodge but it would be good evidence to add once you receive it.

When you receive a bridging visa, it will sit in the background until your WHV expires. I'm not sure if you'll have the same work limitations as your current visa or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Maggie-May24, that's very helpful!

I read somewhere that the parthership certificate waives the 12 months requirement - does anyone have any further info on this?

And one last question: what happens if the new visa is granted before my current visa expires (04/2020)? Does it act like a bridging visa (background) or does it ''overtake'' the current one?

Thank you again for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.