Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lodged my 309 Application, but hadn't realised how long it might take for a decision. We're intending to move to Australia in September, does anyone know or have any advice on whether I'll be okay moving out there on a normal tourist visa whilst I await the decision, and if I'll need to convert my 309 to a 801 application? (assuming I've got the right numbers!)
Or do I really need to return back to the UK to be awarded the 309?
I can't find any help on the official websites.

(My husband and 2 children are Australian citizens, I'm British. Moving to and fro won't be easy with the two children based at school over there)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I've lodged my 309 Application, but hadn't realised how long it might take for a decision. We're intending to move to Australia in September, does anyone know or have any advice on whether I'll be okay moving out there on a normal tourist visa whilst I await the decision, and if I'll need to convert my 309 to a 801 application? (assuming I've got the right numbers!)
I can't find any help on the official websites.

(My husband and 2 children are Australian citizens, I'm British. Moving to and fro won't be easy with the two children based at school over there)
So you've applied offshore, that means it's a 309/100 application (309 being TR and 100 being PR). The onshore option is 820/801 (TR/PR) and no, you can't convert your 309/100 to that. You can reapply onshore though if you really want to spend another $7000, do the entire thing over again, and start at the end of an even longer queue.

There's nothing stopping you from acquiring another valid visa to visit Australia while waiting on a decision on the 309. But you must be offshore when a decision is ready to be made on the 309 as you applied for an offshore visa. If you're onshore, it's simple enough. You'll get an email from immigration saying they want to finalize your visa and you need to leave Australia for 3-5 days to do so. You can go to any country in the world as long as you fly out of Australia (because cruises don't count as leaving). Use it as the opportunity for a week long holiday nearby.

I applied for the offshore 300 from the US. Came to Oz on an ETA while waiting. Was emailed and asked to go offshore, and went to Asia for a week on holiday with my family. Got the grant and reentered no issues.

Keep in mind you aren't moving to Oz on the tourist visa, you're a tourist. To say you're moving implies you don't plan to leave.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Also, you're eligible for Medicare once you're onshore because you've made an application for permanent residency (the 100 part of your 309/100 application). Only mentioning it because many people think they need the actual grant to be eligible, but that's not true. You only need to have made the application and for offshore applicants, be onshore to apply for Medicare.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Also, you're eligible for Medicare once you're onshore because you've made an application for permanent residency (the 100 part of your 309/100 application). Only mentioning it because many people think they need the actual grant to be eligible, but that's not true. You only need to have made the application and for offshore applicants, be onshore to apply for Medicare.
You mean if a person applies offshore for a 309, and then visits Australia on a tourist visa while 309 is being processed I can apply for Medicare even if my 309 hasn't been granted yet? and even if i'm still technically a tourist?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You mean if a person applies offshore for a 309, and then visits Australia on a tourist visa while 309 is being processed I can apply for Medicare even if my 309 hasn't been granted yet? and even if i'm still technically a tourist?
Absolutely yes, some Medicare staff don't understand this fact. At times you may need to politely ask for their supervisor.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yes. It's all stated in that link I gave you.

"Permanent residency applicants:

For each person you want to enrol, you need to give us a:

-passport, travel document or Immicard
-valid visa, and
-proof from the Department of Home Affairs you've submitted a valid permanent residency application

This includes you if you've applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801. You're eligible for Medicare the date you applied for permanent residency, not the date your temporary visa 820 was granted. If you applied outside Australia, you're eligible the date you arrived in Australia."

So just having made an application for the 309/100 (you are technically applying for both TR and PR at the same time), and being in Australia on a valid visa, you are able to get Medicare.

So passport, the Acknowledgment of Application Received notice that proves you've made a valid 309/100 application, your visa grant letter for whatever visa you enter on, and your passport.

Medicare employees won't often see such applicants so some 309/100 applicants have gone in and been unable to get Medicare. This is most likely due to a miscommunication as most people refer to it as a 309 application. A medicare employee would look at the 309, see it's a temporary visa, and of course that doesn't make one eligible because it's not a permanent visa application. So always refer to it as a combined 309/100, make it clear that the 100 is the application for permanent residency, and keep that link handy to show them in case they are confused on the matter.

It's pretty black and white on their own website so there shouldn't be any issues if you communicate the situation clearly. Sometimes you may need to politely ask to speak to another person, but I'd bring up the website first.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It certainly save a few $'s in medical/travel insurance for some. You will also be issued with a Medicare Number at the Medicare office and the temp card (blue) follows about 2 weeks later in the mail.

The office we used were familiar with the process and it only took 15 mins at most (once we were served).

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I've lodged my 309 Application, but hadn't realised how long it might take for a decision.
A lot of 309 grants from the UK have been taking around 3 months in early 2018.

Keep your fingers crossed :)
Australian Partner Visa Grant Times for UK Applicants in 2018

You don't need to return to the UK, many people do a trip to New Zealand, we did a 7 day holiday to Vanuatu to activate our 1st stage partner visa (PMV).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi! I have applied for off shore spouse 309/100 visa on Aug 2017. My husband lives in Australia. I have given my interview which last for about 2 hours.Could anyone tell how long the decision would be made ?Im so worried and nervous.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
No one can tell you that. Best case scenario, very soon. Worst case, not very soon. Some people get movement on their app and get a grant within days or weeks. Some people get movement on their app then nothing for about a year. Some people are in between.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi skybluebrewer
I have been to medicare with application in hand and was turned away being told that the 309 had to be granted. I will make another attempt since it clearly states the applicant of this visa is eligible. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hi skybluebrewer
I have been to medicare with application in hand and was turned away being told that the 309 had to be granted. I will make another attempt since it clearly states the applicant of this visa is eligible. Thanks for the information.
Did you show them their website where it states that it does not need to be granted? You need to explain that it has nothing to do with the 309 anyway. Being a permanent visa applicant (the 100 part of your 309/100) application is what makes you eligible. Sometimes you need to ask nicely to speak to a supervisor or try a different location. It's black and white on their website so show them the Acknowledgement of Application Received proving you've applied for the 309/100 as well. It states very clearly that the 309/100 applicant is eligible the day they enter Australia, not 309 holder.

I assure you that you are eligible though so don't give up on it just because someone is unfamiliar with the process.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If you want to go in armed, email Medicare confirming that a 309/100 applicant that is onshore on a valid visa is eligible for Medicare and does not need to be a 309 holder. Then take that information with you as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you want to go in armed, email Medicare confirming that a 309/100 applicant that is onshore on a valid visa is eligible for Medicare and does not need to be a 309 holder. Then take that information with you as well.
Good idea. I will get onto that right away. Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! I have applied for off shore spouse 309/100 visa on Aug 2017. My husband lives in Australia. I have given my interview which last for about 2 hours.Could anyone tell how long the decision would be made ?Im so worried and nervous.
any proceeding or have u been granted your visa now?can you please elaborate your interview questions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
any proceeding or have u been granted your visa now?can you please elaborate your interview questions?
Yes, Alhumduallah I got my visa grant. The interview was cross questioning session from my application like they assess you what ever you have written is true or not .
Some of the questions were:

My name ,date of birth ,educational background,where I live in, how my relationship started with my husband , my husband name , date of birth,where he lives and with whom,his hobbies,our common interest,how many bed Room house he has , his siblings names, parents ,salary,his work place ,his friends details,
These were the questions I have remembered that asked me,

Tell me your background how you have applied , when and for what visa type?so that I will provide you more details according to your needs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.