Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a newly qualified Social Worker from the UK and am planning on flying out to Sydney towards the end of April with my girlfriend - she is Australian and we met in the UK while she was over on a Working Holiday Visa.

My current plan is to submit my AASW application by the end of this month and I hope to hear back from the AASW around 2 months after I arrive. I will be flying out on a Working Holiday Visa and would ideally like to work in a SW or SW related job while on my WH visa but understand this might be tricky with the visa I'm on due to the 6 month employment resitriction - even if I am eligible to apply for AASW membership.

Because of this I am keen to apply for a longer term visa as soon as I can but am unsure about whether it would be best to apply for a skilled visa or partner visa? My understanding is that once I have applied for a partner visa, the 6 month employment will cease once my WH holiday visa has expired. However, as mentioned above, my worry is that I might not be able to find relevant work until the WH visa has expired.

As I would have already completed an assessment with the AASW I am wondering if it would be best for me to apply for a skilled visa instead? My thinking is that it may be processed more quickly than the partner visa and won't have travel restrictions in place which you have while waiting for the partner visa to be approved.

As a newly qualified SW I have under 3 years post qualifying experience, so would sit the IELTS exam to obtain the extra points. If I was to apply for the skilled visa, I am also wondering if it would be best / advisable for me to complete the IELTS exam while in the UK or whether I could complete the exam when I arrive in Aus?

I was also considering whether to apply for a 3 month tourist visa instead of the WH visa, and applying for a longer term visa upon arrival (such as the partner visa) but do not think this would be appropriate as I understand this is purely for a holiday and my assessment with the AASW may contravene the conditions of the visa. Has anybody had a similar situation?

Apologies for all the questions but would be really grateful for any advice / suggestions! I hope I have posted this in the correct area of the forum!

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have mentioned in my previous post that the AASW is the Australian Association of Social Workers - the body that would assess my international qualification and allow me to apply for AASW membership as a social worker. From what I have read the AASW assessment can be used as part of the process of applying for a skilled visa and EOI can only take place after this has been completed.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Harry I would suggest that you contact a RMA (a few good ones in a sticky on this forum).

I don't know much about the skilled workers visas, but from what you have written it seems a long shot - I may be wrong there.

A skilled worker visa is certainly faster and cheaper than the Partner Visa route. So if possible take the skilled worker path.

You would be looking at the de facto Partner Visa in my opinion and will need to have been in a relationship with your partner (not girlfriend) for a minimum of 12 months and have evidence in the 5 categories.

It is possible to waive the 12 months but not the evidence required.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
272511: Social Worker is on the current Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and therefore an eligible occupation for a range of skilled and employer sponsored visas.

Your options will depend on the outcome of your skills assessment, your overall score on the points test for skilled visas or the availability of a sponsor for the employer sponsored visas.

The most beneficial visa would probably be a sc. 189, followed by sc. 190.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IELTS required for Skilled Worker ?

272511: Social Worker is on the current Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and therefore an eligible occupation for a range of skilled and employer sponsored visas.

Your options will depend on the outcome of your skills assessment, your overall score on the points test for skilled visas or the availability of a sponsor for the employer sponsored visas.

The most beneficial visa would probably be a sc. 189, followed by sc. 190.
: Which IELTS is required for a skilled worker ?
: How does the selection process work, does meeting the scores lead directly to ITA or is there a waitlist or is it according to a quota or ....?
: takeielts.britishcouncil.org/recognising-organisation/australian-association-social-workers (What does the Academic IELTS requirement mean here)

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
DHA only requires the general IELTS for the purpose of claiming points, but you'd need to check whether your skills assessment requires the academic.

Once you have your skills assessment and IELTS results, you can lodge an EOI. When you get an invitation depends on how many points you claim vs. how many other people have already submitted an EOI with higher or the same points. And if new applicants submit an EOI with higher points, they move ahead of you in line. There's a limited number of invitations each round so many people wait at least a few rounds for an invitation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.