Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I would like to seek some advice on what I should do.
My wife is an Australian PR but we are currently living in Singapore (we are Singaporeans and have been living here in the last 7 years).
We have 2 children.

We decided that we want to move back to Australia to raise our kids (we met in Sydney while we were both working there 10 years ago).
My wife recently applied for her RRV 155 and it got approved for 1 year.
I am looking to apply for the Partner Visa 309 for myself and my kids with my wife being the sponsor.
What I'm concerned about is the eligibility of my wife as our sponsor since she hasn't been "usually living in Australia".
And also, we would be moving there without a job but we have quite a bit of savings to tide us through until she finds a job. Would that count as having the ability to sponsor me and the kids?

Is it worthwhile for me to apply for the visa now?
Or should i wait till we move over and she finds a job, we find a house to live in before applying?
Also is it advisable if we apply visa for our children first (separately from the partner visa) so that they can stay in Australia with their mother?

Thank you and regards,
Stan

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You have a few things to work out Stan.

You need to work on time frames for processing and the kids education considerations and costs.

You might be best consulting a RMA for a few hundred $'s and sort out the "usual resident" issue.

It might be best trying the 820 rather than the 309.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ampk.

My wife's RRV expires in Feb next year so we will have to make the move before then.

So it seems like me and my kids will have to go on an ETA and lodge our application onshore and apply for bridging visa while waiting for our application to be approved. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
That is the plan I would look at - if kids are in lower schools.

But you need to confirm the usual resident requirement (from memory) for your wife to sponsor you and the kids ( I assume they were not born in Australia?).

I also assume you have looked at eligibility of Singapore citizens and ETA's - never even looked but my fathers wife had no trouble coming here, from there on any trip from my understanding.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Does that not depend on the state Sky? I know education is a bit complex and varies on states. But a memory is most take the 820 application and bridging visa as "free" education for primary and high school kids - but I am not current.

The other option to look at is Private Schools, ours waivered most fees on the PMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, ampk, Sky.

My kids are only 3 and 5 this year and they are not born in Australia.

We don't have any issues with getting an ETA. We have been visiting Australia regularly as a family (4 times in the last 5 years) on ETAs.

I'm just wondering if Immigration would send us back if we come on ETA but with most of our belongings..

Yeah the 'usually resident of Australia' requirement is my main concern about the eligibility of my wife as a sponsor.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
My guess is the "usual resident" could be sorted before a ETA expiry - but I don't know for sure.

Don't come with most belongings and change your mind! That is the legal way to do it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It may depend on the state but the few that I've seen charge on the BVA based on previous substantive visa. May or may not be the case but something for OP to research themselves.

So a 300 to BVA would be free as the 300 is free, but a 601 to BVA may not be as the 601 would be fee paying.

I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Stan,

I too am from Singapore. My wife from HK who is an Australian PR sponsored my Visa 309 (we do not have any kids) in 2014. We relocated while I was on ETA.

There is a Singaporean family where the hubby (Australian PR) sponsored his Singaporean wife and two kids on 820 Visa. The wife and kids entered on ETA after which the 820 application was lodged. Their belongings was shipped and received two months later.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There will be a lot of factors you will need to consider. The "usual resident" requirement would be the major consideration, and it might be best to apply once your spouse has a job offer to show your intention to permanently reside in the country. I would also definitely recommend you to consult with an agent on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Stan,

I too am from Singapore. My wife from HK who is an Australian PR sponsored my Visa 309 (we do not have any kids) in 2014. We relocated while I was on ETA.

There is a Singaporean family where the hubby (Australian PR) sponsored his Singaporean wife and two kids on 820 Visa. The wife and kids entered on ETA after which the 820 application was lodged. Their belongings was shipped and received two months later.

Hope this helps.
Hi KT1,

Thank you for your reply.
When your wife sponsored your 309, was she living in Australia then?
Do you know if the Singaporean family declared their intention to lodge the 820 or their intention to migrate when they entered on their ETA? (by indicating on the arrival card).

Stan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Stan,

We both were living in Singapore. She used SG NOA to sponsor.

Not to sure if the other Singaporean family indicated their intention.

Hi KT1,

Do you know if the Singaporean family declared their intention to lodge the 820 or their intention to migrate when they entered on their ETA? (by indicating on the arrival card).

Stan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Stan,

We both were living in Singapore. She used SG NOA to sponsor.

Not to sure if the other Singaporean family indicated their intention.

Hi KT1,

Stan
Sorry but what is SG NOA? How was she able to fulfil the "usually living in Australia" requirement of the sponsor?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

It means Singapore Notice of Tax Assessment. It is not a requirement for the sponsor to "clock residency" to qualify to sponsor their partner.

Sorry but what is SG NOA? How was she able to fulfil the "usually living in Australia" requirement of the sponsor?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.