Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you are all good?
Can I please have your expert advice - if I am granted Australian Citizenship would it be a good idea to take my husband and daughter over on a visitors visa then apply for family visa on shore?
What would be the pros and cons?

Thank you ��

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I hope you are all good?
Can I please have your expert advice - if I am granted Australian Citizenship would it be a good idea to take my husband and daughter over on a visitors visa then apply for family visa on shore?
What would be the pros and cons?

Thank you ��
For anyone to give you any kind of expert advice you would probably need to include more about your current situation. Each case is different and there is no blanket yes or no answer.

The more info you give about your situation, the more likely you are to receive proper advice or be pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and sorry......this is all new to me
I have applied for Citizenship by Descent then will apply for my husband and daughters visa if this is approved
It may take up to 22 months for theirs to be approved and I was wondering to get to Australia quicker if they were granted a visitor visa and apply onshore if this would be a viable option?

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Not sure why you think it will take 22 months. We've been seeing offshore partner visas granted in 1-4 months lately and some taking closer to 12.

Pro is that offshore is significantly faster. And depending on the length of your relationship and what evidence you have, there is a possibility their 309 and 100 will be granted simultaneously meaning they'd enter Oz as PRs.

Onshore takes longer on average. You'd need to be able to get in to Oz on a valid visa (telling immigration that you're using a tourist visa to apply for a partner visa will get the visa refused or they'll likely be refused at entry because they won't be genuine tourists). After applying, a bridging visa A is issued but doesn't go into effect until whatever visa they entered on expires and so they will be bound by those conditions. So if they have a 12 month visitor visa, for example, and it has a max study of 3 months, you need to think about your daughter not being able to go to school and your husband not working. Once the BVA kicks in, it comes with full work and study rights (may still need to pay for school though depending) but no travel facility so they cannot leave Australia without applying for and being granted a BVB and that is usually limited to a few months of travel facility for a holiday or something similar. Jobs can also be difficult to get on a BVA. But again, depending on length of relationship and evidence of it, the 820 and 801 could be granted simultaneously.

So ultimately it truly does depend on personal circumstance. One may be better for one but not for another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect, thank you all so much your advice has been amazing
We have been married for 14 years and have all documentation ready.
I will now apply offshore when my citizenship has been approved and ensure we are all legal to start our new life in Australia ����
Xx

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In my personal opinion as a random person on the internet, offshore is better for school aged children.
Just had a thought, if the OP is eligible for citizenship by descent, wouldn't that make the daughter eligible as well?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.