Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

About month ago I got deported from Australia for breaching my Student Visa conditions. During the departure I was informed that my exclusion period may apply 1-3 years. But I was never informed about exact exclusion period.

I've made calls to border defense and send e-mails regarding that matter. But never got a straight answer. I was told to reapply for visa and see what happens, my application fee will not be refunded if it get denied. On email they told me to contact relevant embassy for this matter.

Does anyone have experience with similar situation? Is border defense not obligated to inform me about this prior departure from Australia?

Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hello.

About month ago I got deported from Australia for breaching my Student Visa conditions. During the departure I was informed that my exclusion period may apply 1-3 years. But I was never informed about exact exclusion period.

I've made calls to border defense and send e-mails regarding that matter. But never got a straight answer. I was told to reapply for visa and see what happens, my application fee will not be refunded if it get denied. On email they told me to contact relevant embassy for this matter.

Does anyone have experience with similar situation? Is border defense not obligated to inform me about this prior departure from Australia?

As a rule the 3-year exclusion period does not apply to all visas,only temporary visas, but if there was a character issue involved in your visa cancellation you might still have a serious issue.

I suggest that you obtain your entire file from the immigration department and consult a registered migration agent for advice about a possible future strategy, not necessarily in that order.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Hello.

In general terms:

It depends which visa you want to apply for, but there are 2 areas of concern,which may effect you:
  • The general character requirements, which apply to all visas
  • Whether Public Interest Criteria 3013 and/or 3014 (3 year bans) apply to the visa you want to apply for. (for example tourist and other temporary visas

Then there is the issue of any costs incurred with the deportation.

I'd need a lot more information to provide an answer that would apply specifically to your particular circumstances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the answers. I've been trying to reach Australian Border Defense these couple of days, but it seems literally impossible. They claim that their phone lines are busy all the time, no matter what time of the day you call them.
And I wont be able to find their phone number on their website either, it's like they don't want people to contact them. So I sent them email to obtain my file (I didn't know they do that), but it will take probably 2 weeks to get an answer, if I get it.

So to be more specific about my deportation. I was on my way back from holiday in Taiwan on 8th of April. I was arrested in Melbourne airport by BP officer. I breached my visa condition by not being enrolled for any studies for past 9 months. My visa was cancelled on the spot by Migration Act 1958 S116. After that I was sent to detention center for ~36hours where I waited for my flight that was supposed to take me back home. During interrogation I was informed that it's up to airline to decide where they will take me and they don't know where will I be deported to.
Right before my flight I was informed that I will be deported back to Taiwan, with no money and chance to book my ticket back to Estonia (but that's irrelevant right now)

Thank you for your time,
Risto

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Leaving Australia while in breach of your visa conditions was probably not the smartest thing you have ever done. Use Google to find form 424a and apply to obtain your entire file under freedom of information. This will cost you nothing and the entire process can be completed online.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thank you all for the answers. I've been trying to reach Australian Border Defense these couple of days, but it seems literally impossible. They claim that their phone lines are busy all the time, no matter what time of the day you call them.
And I wont be able to find their phone number on their website either, it's like they don't want people to contact them. So I sent them email to obtain my file (I didn't know they do that), but it will take probably 2 weeks to get an answer, if I get it.

So to be more specific about my deportation. I was on my way back from holiday in Taiwan on 8th of April. I was arrested in Melbourne airport by BP officer. I breached my visa condition by not being enrolled for any studies for past 9 months. My visa was cancelled on the spot by Migration Act 1958 S116. After that I was sent to detention center for ~36hours where I waited for my flight that was supposed to take me back home. During interrogation I was informed that it's up to airline to decide where they will take me and they don't know where will I be deported to.
Right before my flight I was informed that I will be deported back to Taiwan, with no money and chance to book my ticket back to Estonia (but that's irrelevant right now)

Thank you for your time,
Risto
Calling the department is not what you need to do.

You need to speak to a Registered Migration Agent for advice. Try calling these Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.