Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175) visa or another permanent visa

I have a Graduate Diploma in ICT - 'Management and Information technology in technical systems'
I work with computer networks for more than 9 years:
- Network Engineer - 8 years
- Telecommunications department manager - 1.5 year (my current job)

Please advise me if I my experience would be enough to be assessed as suitable for Information Technology Manager ASCO 1224-11
or I should consider another position like
Systems Manager ASCO 2231-11

The main reason of my concern is that
'Applicants in Group A must have at least four (4) equivalent years of full-time relevant ICT experience at professional level prior to the date of their application for Pre-Application Skills Assessment (PASA).'
Source - PASAGuidelinesforApplicants.doc

If my previous experience as an engineer in ICT could be summed up with my current managerial experience in ICT?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
We cannot advise or indicate what the situation may be with any assessment but in regard to seeking a successful Skilled 175/176 visa application outcome there are two very separate steps.

The first that you seem to have well identified is a Qualification/occupational category assessment with ACS and based on your application they will determine the outcome.

Once you have an occupational assessment the second step is the actual visa application and for an independent application you may have seen for the 175 visa it is a points based system, a self assessment table being in the eligibility section and major points are given for Occupation on SOL/MODL/CSL, Age and English Language ability.
There are additional points given for specific experience and if appropriate experience is held re an occupation on MODL.

If your management position still involves close contact/involvement with/in the network engineering , I'd expect all experience being well documented as required by ACS and any other requirements met I'd not be surprised if you do get some assessment by ACS.
Reading comments from IT people who have applied to ACS, it seems common enough that ACS may allocate the appropriate ASCO qualification they see fit and not necessarily the one applied for.

When you make your visa application your occupation points will be awarded based on the ACS assessment, and as long as you have experiences related to that occupation you may be able to claim the additional points; under the Eligibility section experiences headings on the self assessment table give detail of the sort of information to be provided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to Wanderer for the prompt reply.

Maybe someone has similar situation or experience and could share it to us?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.