Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am onshore Australia, and soon going to apply for 189 PR after completing my PhD. I am legally married to my two wives in my home country Pakistan.
1. Now in my 189 PR application, I want to include both my wives and bring them in. Can anybody please advise me that is it possible to do so?
2. Alternatively, if Australia only recognizes my first wife only, then is there any other visa option that I can use to sponsor my 2nd wife?

Many Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Australia doesn't recognise or allow polygamy so you would not be able to declare two spouses. Unless your 2nd wife qualifies for an independent visas such as her own 189, I can't think of any way she can get a visa. She would not meet any criteria as your dependent so you cannot sponsor her.

In fact, since you'd need to be able to prove either wife was your genuine partner to the exclusion of all others, you may struggle to include either in your application.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It is not possible to do that. Under the Australian Marriage Act, you can only be married to one person.

Under section 5F of the Migration Act (1958) you must be in a genuine and continuing relationship to the exclusion of all others. Thus you can only be in a married relationshi[p with one person.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
It is not possible to do that. Under the Australian Marriage Act, you can only be married to one person.

Under section 5F of the Migration Act (1958) you must be in a genuine and continuing relationship to the exclusion of all others. Thus you can only be in a married relationshi[p with one person.
Interesting, Jeremy. Since polygamy is illegal in Australia, wouldn't that void both marriages in this case, or only the second one?

Reactions: Mish

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Interesting, Jeremy. Since polygamy is illegal in Australia, wouldn't that void both marriages in this case, or only the second one?
I would assume so, which is why I figured it would be difficult to include either wife in an application.

Disclaimer: I am not Jeremy :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.