Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need some clarification. We have recently applied for a Partner Visa 820/801 and was granted a BVA with full working and studying rights. A friend of mine advised me to take a look at Medicare.

I was able to talk to 2 people and got very different advices. One said just to visit the centre with the documents and I'll be good then the second one said that I'm not eligible since it's only the first stage of the application which is the temporary partner visa. Once that's gets approved then I can apply for Medicare which is in 2 years time most likely.

Is the latter correct? If yes and if I'm not eligible any health insurance company that you can recommend that's cheap?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
You can apply for Medicare as soon as you submit the 820 application.

The one that said you need to wait for the 801 grant is wrong.

My wife got Medicare when we did the 820 application.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You as said can now get Medicare - some Medicare staff are misinformed you will then need to speak to their supervisor.

Unless you BVA is currently activated (your last visa expired) you might not yet have study or work rights.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Just go to the Medicare website and read for yourself rather than taking advice from people. You are eligible once the application for permanent residency has been made. Where the confusion seems to occur is people don't realize that the 820/801 application is exactly that... an application for both the 820 (temporary) and 801 (permanent). Eligibility for PR two years after that app has nothing to do with Medicare.

You're eligible to apply for Medicare the day you make a valid application for permanent residency, which would be the day you applied for the 820/801 (or 309/100). This is also why 300 partner visa holders are not eligible for Medicare... they have not yet made a permanent residency application as the 300 is only temporary residency, not a combined TR/PR app like the 820/801 or 309/100.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/how-enrol-or-re-enrol-medicare#a3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just go to the Medicare website and read for yourself rather than taking advice from people. You are eligible once the application for permanent residency has been made. Where the confusion seems to occur is people don't realize that the 820/801 application is exactly that... an application for both the 820 (temporary) and 801 (permanent). Eligibility for PR two years after that app has nothing to do with Medicare.

You're eligible to apply for Medicare the day you make a valid application for permanent residency, which would be the day you applied for the 820/801 (or 309/100). This is also why 300 partner visa holders are not eligible for Medicare... they have not yet made a permanent residency application as the 300 is only temporary residency, not a combined TR/PR app like the 820/801 or 309/100.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/how-enrol-or-re-enrol-medicare#a3
Thank you for the advise. I did read via website and spoke to 2 people from Medicare personally and even the representatives are confused with their policy since they were giving me different information.

She was telling me that PV 820/801 has different stages and I'm still on BVA so I can't apply for Medicare yet.

I needed to ask people who had experience with this already and what they did that was effective for them. Just utilising the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You as said can now get Medicare - some Medicare staff are misinformed you will then need to speak to their supervisor.

Unless you BVA is currently activated (your last visa expired) you might not yet have study or work rights.
Hi, my BVA is in effect now with full working and studying rights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can apply for Medicare as soon as you submit the 820 application.

The one that said you need to wait for the 801 grant is wrong.

My wife got Medicare when we did the 820 application.
Thank you for this, I'll go ahead and speak with somebody at the Centre. Ask for a manager if needed.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thank you for the advise. I did read via website and spoke to 2 people from Medicare personally and even the representatives are confused with their policy since they were giving me different information.

She was telling me that PV 820/801 has different stages and I'm still on BVA so I can't apply for Medicare yet.

I needed to ask people who had experience with this already and what they did that was effective for them. Just utilising the forum.
It has nothing to do with a BVA and the Medicare website is very clear. You are eligible from the day you make the 820/801 or 309/100 application.

Go into Medicare with the paperwork that the website said is required (current valid visa, passport, and proof of applying for the 820/801 which should be the acknowledgement letter received after applying) and if the person refuses to do it, ask them to pull open their own website (bring the link address with you to avoid having to search for it) and if that is still not clear enough then ask to speak with a supervisor.

If you read through this forum, you'll see that many people go to Medicare immediately after applying for the 820/801 partner visa. I myself hold a Medicare card (and have for a year and a half) and am not even eligible for the 801 permanent residency stage yet. I applied and received it after making the 820/801 application.

The Medicare card you get is an interim one. It is only valid for a short period (I believe 12 months) and they automatically send you a new one before your current one expires, again valid for another 12 months. Once you receive the 801 or 100 grant for PR, then you get a normal Medicare card (not interim). The only difference between the two is that the interim card is only valid for those 12 months at a time while you wait for a decision on PR. The benefits are still the same regardless of it being an interim card or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It has nothing to do with a BVA and the Medicare website is very clear. You are eligible from the day you make the 820/801 or 309/100 application.

Go into Medicare with the paperwork that the website said is required (current valid visa, passport, and proof of applying for the 820/801 which should be the acknowledgement letter received after applying) and if the person refuses to do it, ask them to pull open their own website (bring the link address with you to avoid having to search for it) and if that is still not clear enough then ask to speak with a supervisor.

If you read through this forum, you'll see that many people go to Medicare immediately after applying for the 820/801 partner visa. I myself hold a Medicare card and am not even eligible for the 801 permanent residency stage yet. I applied and received it after making the 820/801 application.

The Medicare card you get is an interim one. It is only valid for a short period (I believe 12 months) and they automatically send you a new one before your current one expires, again valid for another 12 months. Once you receive the 801 or 100 grant for PR, then you get a normal Medicare card (not interim). The only difference between the two is that the interim card is only valid for those 12 months at a time while you wait for a decision on PR. The benefits are still the same regardless of it being an interim card or not.
This is really helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
The reason I said use the Medicare website is because a Medicare person is not going to listen to people on this forum when making a decision, but they should be able to understand something written in black and white on their own website. Sometimes you just need to be polite and guide them to it or ask to speak with someone else.

It is clear cut. Once an application has been made, as long as the person is on a valid visa and can supply a passport and acknowledgement of permanent residency (in your case the 820/801) application received, then they are eligible for Medicare.

I would not leave the Medicare building without having resolved the issue. Of course you can always try a different facility as some people have in the past, but that doesn't help the next person who comes in after you trying to accomplish the same thing. At the very least, you'll educate the personnel on a subject that they may not see very often.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Normally once in the Medicare office with the required forms and a print out of the Medicare eligibility from the Medicare website, the 820 applicants don't get much trouble from the Medicare staff and is a simple fast process.

This is normally not the case in places of very low immigration. But many 309 (offshore) applicants here on Visitor Visa's have lots of trouble - but they are entitled to Medicare and when persistent do get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I am a filipina, 20 years old and currently studying in the Philippines. I have an australian citizen boyfriend for 7 months now and we are going to meet for the first time on May 2018 and stay for 2 weeks in Australia. I am planning to come back on December and we are planning to get married with me having a tourist visa. After getting married I will apply for a bridging visa A for my Partner visa 820. Do you think it is possible? I’m not sure because one of the requirements is being in a de facto relationship for 12 months. Since I am still a student and dont have work I am worrying about the joint accounts which will be part of the requirements and other requirements needed since we haven’t lived together that much

thank you and hoping for a reply!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.