Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A friend of mine has done two years post- graduate course (Master of Engineering). He finished his course in Dec 2008 & only had 115 points

Age 26 years old - 30 points
Occupation Engineer – 60 points
IETLS 7.5 overall but 6.5 in writing module - 15 poinys
2 years course 5 points

As he wasn’t eligible for PR (885 visa) at the time, he applied for 485 visa & his 485 visa was granted few weeks ago (Oct 2009), his 485 visa is valid till 2011.

He doesnot have work experience & its been 12 months since his graduation. He recently did IELTS exam again & he received overall 8 with 7 in each module.

So now he has 120 points, Can he apply for PR with his current sitatuion ?

A lawyer told he cant as he should apply fior PR withinh 6 months of gradtion but a different lawyer told him he can as he has 485 visa & the 6 months period is only for student visa.

Appreciate your help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

A friend of mine has done two years post- graduate course (Master of Engineering). He finished his course in Dec 2008 & only had 115 points

Age 26 years old - 30 points
Occupation Engineer - 60 points
IETLS 7.5 overall but 6.5 in writing module - 15 poinys
2 years course 5 points

As he wasn't eligible for PR (885 visa) at the time, he applied for 485 visa & his 485 visa was granted few weeks ago (Oct 2009), his 485 visa is valid till 2011.

He doesnot have work experience & its been 12 months since his graduation. He recently did IELTS exam again & he received overall 8 with 7 in each module.

So now he has 120 points, Can he apply for PR with his current sitatuion ?

A lawyer told he cant as he should apply fior PR withinh 6 months of gradtion but a different lawyer told him he can as he has 485 visa & the 6 months period is only for student visa.

Appreciate your help
Hi Austin09,

If they are the holder of a valid subclass 485 visa they can apply for the subclass 885 visa.

My comments only relate to weather the 485 is a qualifying visa for the 885. As I do not know all of your friend's details I can not comment on whether other criteria are met.

Raul T Senise Registered Australian Migration Agent, MARA No. 0636699

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.