Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am currently on a 572 student visa. My final simester finishes in November 2011.
My 572 visa expires in March 2012.
My partner and I (who is an Australian citizen) will have been residing together for 11 months up to this period but would have been in a relationship for nearly 2 years.
Is it correct that we can only lodge for an 801/820 visa after residing together for at least 12 months?. If so what are our options. Could I apply for a holiday visa and leave the country with her for a month to fulfill this criteria Then apply for an 801/820 on our return to Australia?
If we can apply for an 801/820 visa by proving alone the duration of our relationship but not residing together for 12 months, can we lodge the application straight after my studies are complete in November?

Kind regards

Matthew and Peta

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi,

I have heard mix responses about this, with some immigration officers saying you have to wait the full 12 months, and others saying it's OK to apply a little shy of the 12 months. Have you called DIAC to ask yourselves? I'd say that would be your best bet.

If it's possible, you would have to show a strong comittment to your future together as well as the time until applying.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
From what I have heard during my process is this visa is from date of submission and not date of processing. basically if it was date of processing and it took 4 months then you would be ok but from what iv heard I wouldnt take that chance.

Why dont you wait to exceed 6 months living together then apply for a relationship registration which waivers the 12 month policy. then apply.

My partner and I lived together from August until April when I applied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.