Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I had a quick question.

I applied for a offshore "aged dependent relative" visa for my sister in 2012 and she was granted the visa and placed in queue as of August 2012.

Since then she has visited me in Australia numerous times on tourist visa whilst she has been in the queue for the offshore aged dependent visa.

This year she is in Australia on a Visitor Visa 600 and I wanted to apply on a onshore "remaining relative" visa. She meets all the requirements and does not have "No further Stay" condition on her tourist visa. My question is

1) If I apply for the onshore remaining relative visa what happens to the aged dependent visa. Will that still sit in the background or will that be automatically cancelled.

2) If I apply for the onshore remaining relative visa what happens to my sister. Her tourist visa expires on the 29/12/2015. Will they grant her a bridging visa whilst processing the last remaining relative visa.

thankyou very much for your time and thoughts.

Jason

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If your sister has been granted a visa why would you apply for another one? From what you wrote it looks like your Sister's application has been acknowledged and is now awaiting processing.

If you apply for another visa then both visa applications will be processed.

Yes, they would normally grant a Bridging Visa A if she lodges remaining relative visa onshore.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
No. According the Immigration Website the waiting period for Remaining Relative or Aged Dependant Relatives is nor 56 years for applications lodged last year. All of this information is available on the Immigration website. You just have to look for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jeremy

thankyou for your response. The reason I wanted to apply for another one was because my sister was granted the aged dependent visa offshore which means she has to wait approximately 20 to 30 years for final processing. In order to then visit us in Australia she has to keep applying for tourist visas

If I apply for the remaining relative visa onshore whilst she is in Australia from my understanding is they will issue her a bridging visa and she will spend the next 20 to 30 years in Australia waiting for the final processing.

But I am concerned if I apply for the remaining relative visa they will automatically withdraw the approved aged dependent visa and what happens if the remaining relative visa is rejected.

I wasnt sure whether they will process the remaining relative visa and once approved give us a choice eg do you want to aged dependent or remaining relative visa as the active application.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Both applications will remain in the system. An application is not automatically withdrawn if you lodge a subsequent application.If one of the applications is approved, you would withdraw the other one.

Reactions: wrussell

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would do some careful research and it may be worth speaking to a good registered migration agent as there are significant consequences that need to be considered. For example, she would be on a bridging visa for 56 years. That means she would never be able to work. She will never be entitled to any form of social security and only limited healthcare. I would call a good agent such as Go Matilda

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Another challenge of the Remaining Relative Visa is if she enters a relationship with anyone who has family outside Australia, she'd no longer qualify for the visa.

I agree with other posters who've suggested she speak with a migration agent. There are several who post regularly on this forum (such as CCMS and Jeremy Hooper, above or WRussell or Mark Northam) who could review her situation and suggest an appropriate strategy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.