Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hoping for a bit of advice as I’ve searched multiple forums and sites with no clear answer.

I’m English and currently live with my partner who is Australian. He is here in the UK on a Youth Mobility visa which expires in December this year. We are unable to apply for a partner visa to stay in the UK as we don’t have enough evidence of living together for the full 2 year requirement. We are therefore looking at me applying for an Australian partner visa as we will have evidence of living together for 12 months for this one.

My question is whether it is possible to apply for the 820 visa once in Australia if I initially go on a Visitor visa?

If not and I decide to lodge a 309 visa then am I correct in assuming that I will only be able to enter Australia on a visitor visa and unable to work in Australia while the 309 is being processed?

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
972 Posts
We are therefore looking at me applying for an Australian partner visa as we will have evidence of living together for 12 months for this one.
Keep in mind that there's much more that goes into it than just the 12 month requirement.

My question is whether it is possible to apply for the 820 visa once in Australia if I initially go on a Visitor visa?
It is possible, others here have done it. But a part of entering on a tourist visa is to be a genuine temporary entrant in to Australia.

Furthermore, if you do go that route and apply for a partner visa on shore you will be given a bridging visa that comes into effect after the initial stay period of your visitor visa. This is of course if your visitor visa comes without the no further stay condition.

If not and I decide to lodge a 309 visa then am I correct in assuming that I will only be able to enter Australia on a visitor visa and unable to work in Australia while the 309 is being processed?
As far as I have read on here, that is correct. You can't work in Australia while on a visitor visa and depending on the visitor visa you get, you will have to leave Australia every three months and re-enter. You don't have to go home, but just go offshore and come back.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Do you qualify for the Working Holiday Visa?

The ETA does not come with the No Further Stay condition and has 3 month stay periods (so no work for first 3 months or each stay after arrival).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.