Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm a US citizen and I cannot leave my job anytime soon but my partner and I are planning to get married. My partner is an Australian citizen.
When we get married, can I automatically process for an Australian permanent residency? If not, what is the process?
And can I be outside Australia while processing for PR?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
can I be outside Australia while processing for PR?
Yes.
Being married would meet the applicable schedule1 criterion for a valid application (add the 8k nonrefundable application fee) but would not meet the schedule 2 criterion, which is most of what is required, satisfactory evidence of: an exclusive, mutual, genuine, continuing relationship, medical and character clearances and so on. May I suggest that you consult one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum for a case assessment?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi!
I'm a US citizen and I cannot leave my job anytime soon but my partner and I are planning to get married. My partner is an Australian citizen.
When we get married, can I automatically process for an Australian permanent residency? If not, what is the process?

Thank you!
Being married means little for the application.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
can I automatically process for an Australian permanent residency?
No - you will need to apply for a partner visa. Westley has suggested a course of action above.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi!

Thank you!
Yes, you can apply for the permanent residency from overseas. It's called partner visa.
You don't necessarily need to be married, but you will need to provide proof of a genuine and ongoing relationship, including financial, social and household evidence. You can find more information including the cost (over $8k), processing times (can take a few years) and required documents on the official immi website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-offshore

1 - 5 of 5 Posts