Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So blessed that this forum exists :D

So my Argentine partner and I are about to apply for the partner visa to move to Australia in 2017.

We met in 2014 and have lived together for more almost 2 years in Argentina and we´re pretty sure we have all the necessary paperwork :)

Our question is about applying onshore or offshore as a tourist

We had initially intended to apply onshore in Oz and wait for the bridging visa so he can work three months later.

However a few people from the immigrations hotline have told us that applying onshore whilst on a tourist visa is a potential risk. They said that we may be rejected on a technicality as it looks like he entered Australia as a tourist but intended to stay on a long term basis. :confused:

Does anyone know if this is true? We´ve looked through the threads but can´t see any examples of people who have been rejected for this reason.

As we met in Argentina, he has only ever visited Australia for 12 days a tourist in 2015. Does this look bad on our application?

Any comments or info would be really useful.

We need to decide ASAP if we sent the application now or wait until we are back in Oz in March 2017. If applying offshore is the only 100% solution we will travel for a few months while it gets processed we but need to plan things now.

Thanks in advance!
Alison + Fede

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I would first apply for a 3 month Visitor Visa and see what conditions it has.

* Please don't ask DIBP any questions like you have. a) they often give wrong information. b) it can create problems like visa cancelation.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
The use of tourist visas as a pathway of applying for an onshore partner visa is a fairly grey area. Trying to get advice from the DIBP on this particular subject is not only unwise, it is fairly pointless, as DIBP staff are not qualified to provide migration advice. I would definitely not rely on any information provided by a 'hotline".

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know someone that came to Australia from Argentina on a tourist visa then applied for a partner visa right before the tourist visa expired. The tourist visa did not have a 'no further stay' condition. They now have the 820.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know someone that came to Australia from Argentina on a tourist visa then applied for a partner visa right before the tourist visa expired. The tourist visa did not have a 'no further stay' condition. They now have the 820.
Did they just meet their partner while a tourist, or had they been together before she came to Australia and for some time? If they were together for some time, did she list her partner in the tourist visa as people she knew in Australia?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Did they just meet their partner while a tourist, or had they been together before she came to Australia and for some time? If they were together for some time, did she list her partner in the tourist visa as people she knew in Australia?
They had been together before he came to Australia and they listed they were together on the tourist visa form.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.