Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently working in Australia as a Mechanical Engineer under temporary working visa subclass 457.

I have worked in Australia for 6 months and I want to start to apply for PR subclass 176 under Western Australia state government sponsorship.

My qualification point is 105, which is more than enough to apply for state government sponsorship.

My question is: Can I apply Subclass 176 onshore in Australia while I am holding working visa 457 to work?

Thanks for any advice.

-WonLek-

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Yes you can but you may find that WA are not taking sponsorship applications right now and will likely not until they have their State Migration Plan established.
You can check their state link via the 176 eligibility section for further detail and also have a read of General Skilled Migration re more info.
When you can do it and on being successful you will need to leave Australia for a minimum of a few days to allow the visa to be granted and Immi will likely advise you on that so you can make arrangements and let them know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wanderer.

I am making preparation now.

After I have lodged online application to WA state sponsorship government, what should I do from there? Do I need to go to immi.gov.au website and fill up another form?

Or that's it, I shall just have to wait until the result from WA state government?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Thanks Wanderer.

I am making preparation now.

After I have lodged online application to WA state sponsorship government, what should I do from there? Do I need to go to immi.gov.au website and fill up another form?

Or that's it, I shall just have to wait until the result from WA state government?

Thanks.
The sponsorship is a separate activity and the application for that independent of your visa application and so once you have the sponsorship granted you can apply for a visa.
You could also possibly apply for the 175 visa and having less than 120 points but more than 100, they will put your application into a waiting pool until you got sponsorship which would have them then consider your application as a 176.
There may be a catch of some sort in that approach for there's a reference at Q19 of FAQ - General Skilled Migration with a contact the skilled processing centre.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.