Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passport will be expired on Oct 2018 and for some circumstance I have no right to extend it unless I go back to where I born and do 2 years of duty there.

On the other hand, I can apply PR on Feb 2019.

So I have been searching some cases or law act to support my opinion that I can stay and apply PR without valid Passport.

If you guys know any specific law for my case, Please inform me.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
My passport will be expired on Oct 2018 and for some circumstance I have no right to extend it unless I go back to where I born and do 2 years of duty there.

On the other hand, I can apply PR on Feb 2019.

So I have been searching some cases or law act to support my opinion that I can stay and apply PR without valid Passport.

If you guys know any specific law for my case, Please inform me.

Thanks
You can always apply for a passport from the embassy or consulate of the country of which you are a citizen off

Many consulates will have passport renewal facilities. Have you tried contacting them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can always apply for a passport from the embassy or consulate of the country of which you are a citizen off

Many consulates will have passport renewal facilities. Have you tried contacting them.
I aware of that. Being Korean born male, however, requires a duty to protect their nation from North Korea. So most of them need to do military service for 20 months now.

In my case and mentioned it above already, I can not renew them until I finish the service.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
PIC 4021

Either:
(a) the applicant holds a valid passport that:
(i) was issued to the applicant by an official source; and
(ii) is in the form issued by the official source; and
(iii) is not in a class of passports specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this clause; or
(b) it would be unreasonable to require the applicant to hold a passport.

Circumstances where a new passport cannot be issued by the relevant foreign authority due to natural disaster, war or similar events can be considered as being situations where it would be 'unreasonable' to require the applicant to be the holder of a passport.

I can't tell if the fact that you have National Service obligations would be taken into account.

Reactions: ywaa1124

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I suppose it wouldn't be that a new passport CAN'T be issued by the relevant foreign authority. Will be interesting to see how this plays out if OP keeps us uodated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PIC 4021

Either:
(a) the applicant holds a valid passport that:
(i) was issued to the applicant by an official source; and
(ii) is in the form issued by the official source; and
(iii) is not in a class of passports specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this clause; or
(b) it would be unreasonable to require the applicant to hold a passport.

Circumstances where a new passport cannot be issued by the relevant foreign authority due to natural disaster, war or similar events can be considered as being situations where it would be 'unreasonable' to require the applicant to be the holder of a passport.

I can't tell if the fact that you have National Service obligations would be taken into account.
This is what and why I am interested in my case. I found some Korean migrant agents saying they managed to make their clients to get PR under this situation.

It will be very limited and hard to achieve but at least I found there is some few cases before

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
This is what and why I am interested in my case. I found some Korean migrant agents saying they managed to make their clients to get PR under this situation.

It will be very limited and hard to achieve but at least I found there is some few cases before
There might even be some published MRT/AAT cases, which is always a good resource.

What I read in the PAMs seems to indicate that it is considered very much on a case by case basis, unless it is clear-cut as in the examples provided.

Reactions: ywaa1124

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There might even be some published MRT/AAT cases, which is always a good resource.

What I read in the PAMs seems to indicate that it is considered very much on a case by case basis, unless it is clear-cut as in the examples provided.
Thank you so much for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.