Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am new here and hope I can get some advice on my situation.

We are a Singaporean family who did not manage to move within the 5 years after our PR was granted. We bought a house in Australia 4 years ago (have been subletting it) and my brother is a PR living in Australia for many years. We applied for RRV in Mar but todate there is no reply and the travel facility on our PR visa has expired.

We heard that even if our RRV application is rejected, we can still enter Australia using ETA and then apply RRV onshore once we are ready to live there permanently. We hope to move in 2 1/2 years time.

My question is what is the chance of getting an approval. Will it be possible for immigration to reject our RRV even if we enrol our children into school (Maybe have to go private school if we cannot enrol in public school due to ETA being a temporary visa?)?

Have there been cases of RRV being rejected even when the children have been enrolled into or attending schools?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You are lucky you from Singapore, and that your ETA is a subclass 601 visa. You can apply for an RRV from that visa. You have to demonstrate that you have strong employment, business, cultural or personal ties to Australia that are to the benefit of Australia.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Felix2803,

Since your PR has lapsed without fulfilling the two years required stay. RRV application could take longer than expected to processed. There was also another case of a singaporean family having similar situation as yours where the husband PR lapsed. His RRV was approved after 3-4 months after demonstrating a job employment. Suggest you wait on the outcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeremy & KT1 for your replies. Much appreciated! : )

If we need to demonstrate strong ties to Australia that is beneficial to Australia, then I assume having children enrolled in schools in Australia isn't exactly a strong tie then? :confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Felix2803, Having a property, bank account and contributing tax could be factors contributing to strong ties.

Also I am puzzled why the need for RRV when the intention is to return in 2.5 years time. As likely the RRV will be approved for 1 year (As the min requirement is 2 years stay).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi KT1,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially we thought we will always need to have a valid RRV and using ETA to enter will void the PR visa. We only found out later that we can still enter using an ETA and then apply RRV.

Just a bit nervous if there is a chance that immigration may reject the RRV application after we have packed up everything and moved to Australia.

Has anyone heard of such a case?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have PM you.

If you are intending to move permanently, it would be wise to apply for RRV first. As ETA doesn't allow working rights or living indefinitely.

Hope this helps.

Hi KT1,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially we thought we will always need to have a valid RRV and using ETA to enter will void the PR visa. We only found out later that we can still enter using an ETA and then apply RRV.

Just a bit nervous if there is a chance that immigration may reject the RRV application after we have packed up everything and moved to Australia.

Has anyone heard of such a case?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I have PM you.

If you are intending to move permanently, it would be wise to apply for RRV first. As ETA doesn't allow working rights or living indefinitely.

Hope this helps.
I would say this is sound advice. There is no guarantee that an RRV will be granted just because you are onshore at the time you apply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Paulhand, yes, understand it’s still subject to showing strong ties to Australia which can be subjective. 😅

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.