Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife is being granted a VISA subclass 573 to commence a 2-year Masters By Coursework in a Melbourne university. I have just a couple of questions:

1. Could I apply to the skilled work process (VISA 175/176) onshore? I'll own an unlimited work VISA as her dependent.

2. I own a BS in Computer Science, my occupation is in high demand and ACS (Australian Computer Society) is validating my documentation/experience. So, is the VISA 175/176 onshore application faster than the offshore process for high demanded occupations?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
wrp,
It's two separate issues you're looking at;
1. To be included on your wifes visa as a partner, you generally need to be listed as such before the visa is granted, so I'd have a close look under the eligibility section for the visa on the Immi site and there should be a reference to that.

If you do not get included on her visa you would have to apply either for a separate partner visa you'll find details for in Family section under migration on the web site or you apply for a 175/176 as you're considering.

Coming asa partner to your wife with her on a student visa will mean you have restricted work hours, the same as your wife, 20 hrs./week. during study times and unlimited in between study.

It'll be the same in applying for a separate partner visa but in applying for a 175/176, you then have PR and unlimited work options, it being possible to also include your wife too and as soon as you get PR, her study fees will be a lot less.

Only issue is that in doing separate visa applications, it can take quite a while, a year or more with 175/176.
Have a look @ http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

The other thing you may want to consider is a bit of both and apply for a 175/176 and at same time your wife for studying and you as a apartner and so you can still come in and do part-time work with your wife and then as soon as the 175/176 is ready for granting, you'll have to arrange a short trip outside of Australia, say to NZ for about 5 days to allow the visa to be granted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just to clarify, the 175/176 are not on shore visas, they are off shore applications. You may remain in Australia on any other substantive visa whilst 175/176 are processed, but, when your substantive visa expires, you will not be able to get a bridging visa to stay in Australia on the basis of waiting for the decision. If this was an on shore application you could get a bridging visa to stay in Australia and wait for the decision. Unfortunately, you do not seem to qualify for an on shore application.
Good luck
Dorota

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.