Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom previously granted her visa for the first time on 09-Dec-2016 and because of that she was able to stay with us here in Australia for 12 months straight from February 4, 2017, till January 27, 2018, under Visa 600 Sponsored Family Stream with the following Visa Conditions:
8101 - NO WORK
8503 - NO FURTHER STAY
8531 - MUST LEAVE BEFORE VISA EXPIRY

She met all those conditions so I thought of applying for a new visa with the ability for her to stay with us again for 12 months and with multiple-entry visa.

I submitted my application and a few weeks later, immigration send me an e-mail with "Request Checklist and Details" form. And in this form, it mentions a requirement saying:

Other Requirements
****Please note: Under the Sponsored Family Stream, applicants can spend no more than 12 months in an 18 month period onshore. As the applicant has recently spent 12 months in Australia, visa will be considered for a length of stay of 6 months

With this requirement, I have the following question:
1. Does it mean immigration will only give us a maximum of 6 months stay for my mom since she already stayed with us for 12 months in the last 18 months?
2. Will there be a chance our application gonna be rejected simply because I re-applied too soon since my mom just returned back to her country of origin (Philippines) a few weeks ago and that she already stay 12 months stay with us (Feb 2017 to Jan 27, 2018)?
3. Even if our application is granted, does it mean my mom can only enter Australia on July 27, 2018, so that she will not breach the rule that states " applicants cannot spend no more than 12 months in an 18 month period onshore"?
4. Is it advisable for me to cancel this application now or shall I proceed with my mom's health/medical assessment?

I hope this community would help me with these 4 questions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
****Please note: Under the Sponsored Family Stream, applicants can spend no more than 12 months in an 18 month period onshore. As the applicant has recently spent 12 months in Australia, visa will be considerd for a length of stay of 6 months

With this requirement, I have the following question:
1. Does it mean immigration will only give us a maximum of 6 months stay for my mom since she already stayed with us for 12 months in the last 18 months?
Your mum stayed in Australia for 12 months from February 4, 2017, till January 27, 2018.
In theory they do not need to allow you any more time until July 2018.

Immigration saying that "The current Visa request will be considered for a 6 month stay" appears to be generous. But might be the last for ages.

It is possible that if you applied instead, on July 27, 2018, you may get another 12 month visa, in a fresh 18 months time window.

I am not 100% sure how they do these time windows. Maybe your mum just needs 6 months outside before trying again.

4th February, 2017, till 4th July, 2018. is one 18 month window, with 12 months taken.

A 6 month visa for March 2018 to August 2018 could be classed in an 18 month window from February 2017 to August 2018, which still has that 12 months taken.

I think a more expert opinion might be needed..

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
The 18 months is rolling ( you count back the days in Australia from the current day on the calendar), the maximum stay period in those 18 months is 12 months.

However, they have decided that you will not be considered for a 12 month visa now but only a 6 month visa.

** If this visa is granted and it is a multi entry, you may get close to 11 months stay in Australia, but you will need to be very careful on your "months" in Australia - it is not 30 days, it is a calendar month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.