Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the cost-of-living board too, but it kind of overlaps with immigration. Mods, if I am out of line feel free to delete this post!

Has anyone relocated recently from the US to Australia? What was your moving cost and do you recommend any particular company? I am getting quotes from several companies but personal anecdotes are always helpful. We will be moving 1500 sqft; 2 bed/2 bath house.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Moving inside Australia is expensive as it is, let alone from outside. I terms of cost, I doubt moving everything will be worth it. Check following for prices on what/how much to buy in Australia (I am not affiliated with any website/company/etc).

- AMART/IKEA for reasonably cheap furniture.
- Kogan/JBHIFI/OFFICEWORKS/HARVEY NORMAN for electronic/white goods.
- Reject Shop always has cheap general stuff (mats/garden tools/etc).
- King of Knives usually has reasonable kitchen stuff, but its costlier than IKEA.

Finally, make sure to check for "Personal Import Scheme" and see how many cars between you and your family member, you can import. If you have time and you can squeeze through a classic car, it can easily pay off your moving costs. Check carsales for price on classic cars.

Where exactly are you moving to in Australia?

Check everything above and do calculations, if its worth moving or if its worth selling and buying majority of stuff new.

If it works out that moving costs are alright, make sure to check LCL for sea shipping. LCL stands for Loose-Container-Load.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Have a massive yard sale, sell it all, double it on black in roulette, buy new stuff here.
Yeah, this is probably the best advice you will get.

Honestly, some of the quotes I've been given for shipping is just through the roof. The scary thing is, we aren't moving any furniture or big electronics. Just clothing, a hockey bag, a guitar and some keepsakes.

It's worth it to just sell everything "big" and buy new when you get to Australia.

Reactions: salmon1411

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It was going to cost me a fortune to move my stuff across, not to mention a nightmare in logistics. Seriously, I sold everything and just went to Super Amart. Replaced all the furniture for $5-6k. Just brought what we could fit in a few suitcases with us and left other stuff we wanted to keep with trusted friends. Every time we go back to visit we just bring some more back in suitcases or paid them to ship some small stuff.

Moving within Australia is no joke either. To move from the desert to the city, about an 8 hour drive, we were quoted over $6k and that included packing and unpacking it ourselves. That's not even interstate.

A lot of people I know even moving within Australia just ditch a lot of stuff and buy off of Gumtree.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, sorry all, I should clarify - we do not intend to pay the cost ourselves. We are in the process of negotiating a contract for my husband and would like to ask them to cover relocation costs (typical in the industry). Just wondering what number to throw out there in our negotiation. Thanks @skybluebrewer for the ballpark. Sounds like we would need upwards of $10k at least.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yeah, this is probably the best advice you will get.

Honestly, some of the quotes I've been given for shipping is just through the roof. The scary thing is, we aren't moving any furniture or big electronics. Just clothing, a hockey bag, a guitar and some keepsakes.

It's worth it to just sell everything "big" and buy new when you get to Australia.
Left the guitar behind with friends. I still intend to bring it back on the plane with me one day! Bought a new one here too lol.

Coming from the US, no point in keeping any of the electronics anyway due to the voltage difference! Even if you have an adapter to plug a US plug into an Aussie plug, the difference in voltage will fry the product unless the product is designed to take the voltage in which case you'd need to carry that adapter around everywhere for it. Not to mention a lot of electronics like video game consoles and dvds/blurays are region locked so won't work on anything but US systems and players anyway. Can't buy Aussie games or movies to play on US systems and vice versa.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ah, sorry all, I should clarify - we do not intend to pay the cost ourselves. We are in the process of negotiating a contract for my husband and would like to ask them to cover relocation costs (typical in the industry). Just wondering what number to throw out there in our negotiation. Thanks @skybluebrewer for the ballpark. Sounds like we would need upwards of $10k at least.
Just get online and get quotes for sea crates. Only takes a few minutes to fill out the info then a day or two for them to get back to you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Left the guitar behind with friends. I still intend to bring it back on the plane with me one day! Bought a new one here too lol.

Coming from the US, no point in keeping any of the electronics anyway due to the voltage difference! Even if you have an adapter to plug a US plug into an Aussie plug, the difference in voltage will fry the product unless the product is designed to take the voltage in which case you'd need to carry that adapter around everywhere for it. Not to mention a lot of electronics like video game consoles and dvds/blurays are region locked so won't work on anything but US systems and players anyway. Can't buy Aussie games or movies to play on US systems and vice versa.
I honestly forgot about the guitar until I posted it above! Haha. It's an acoustic, just need a hard case for travel now. I've got two of them that will need to come through. Both have pretty significant sentimental value.

I remember when we were in Australia this past July I tried to charge my electric razor and in doing so destroyed it. Haha.

Video games are tricky. I really only play sports ones and I don't know if the ones I want are available in Australia. I'll have to do some digging!

Edit - Just found the game I'm looking for. At home it's between $60-$80. In Australia it's $110.

Good god. Haha. Ok, I need a new hobby.

Reactions: Skybluebrewer

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't moved yet (stuck in the endless 457 visa wait) but I'll also be moving from the US (Denver) to Brisbane hopefully within the next few months.

If you haven't already, check out MovingScam.com for advice and company reviews. Because I don't have a visa yet I haven't actually gotten any quotes.

My situation is a bit unique in that I rent a room in a shared home, so I will be moving basically just a bedroom and kitchen wares (dishes, pots & pans).

As of now I am planning on moving everything, rather than selling. My reasoning is that I've seen estimates on Moving Scam for 1-bedrooms for 2-5k, and it would cost at least that much for me to replace things in Brisbane. Plus I have some antiques and heirlooms I inherited from my mother that I'll never part with, and storing them in the US will cost $1500-2k per year.

My contacts at Suddath and Southern Winds said that a big part of the cost is determined by fuel costs at the time, which vary a lot throughout the year. Unfortunately, it looks like summer is the most expensive time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ireasoning is that I've seen estimates on Moving Scam for 1-bedrooms for 2-5k, and it would cost at least that much for me to replace things in Brisbane. Plus I have some antiques and heirlooms I inherited from my mother that I'll never part with, and storing them in the US will cost $1500-2k per year.
birdnerd this is my thinking exactly. We have done company-paid international moves before and done an insurance inventory of everything we own. It is a shock when you realize how much it really all costs. Plus we have some art and furniture pieces that are not replaceable. I think if we have to pay our own way in the end we will get rid of some things, but we definitely wouldn't start from scratch. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: birdnerd

·
Registered
17 Posts
birdnerd this is my thinking exactly. We have done company-paid international moves before and done an insurance inventory of everything we own. It is a shock when you realize how much it really all costs. Plus we have some art and furniture pieces that are not replaceable. I think if we have to pay our own way in the end we will get rid of some things, but we definitely wouldn't start from scratch. Thanks for the suggestions!
Another good source of info I've found is the Yanks Down Under Facebook page. QLD has one as well!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I honestly forgot about the guitar until I posted it above! Haha. It's an acoustic, just need a hard case for travel now. I've got two of them that will need to come through. Both have pretty significant sentimental value.

I remember when we were in Australia this past July I tried to charge my electric razor and in doing so destroyed it. Haha.

Video games are tricky. I really only play sports ones and I don't know if the ones I want are available in Australia. I'll have to do some digging!

Edit - Just found the game I'm looking for. At home it's between $60-$80. In Australia it's $110.

Good god. Haha. Ok, I need a new hobby.
Got the kid Battlefront 2 for xmas. Was $99 in the Xbox store, $89 everywhere else, and $49 at Big W! And yeah my acoustic-electric has some serious sentimental value. I've got a hard case for it so it's definitely coming home after the next US trip.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just some advice for bring stuff over from USA to AU. I was lucky to have left most of my things behind or sold and took essentials. I packed them away in home depot double walled boxes and took them with me on the plane. Its 150$ for extra baggage up to 50 lbs. This is how to travel from the USA back to AU now. I don't use suitcases anymore, just big ole cardboard boxes. Just remember to tie string on it for carrying ease.

This advice will be great for when you are moving over and waiting for the rest of your stuff to come over.

Reactions: salmon1411

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would negotiate the highest $ figure & then you can decide how to spend the money. Some companies will tell you they will cover the cost, which means you have to do the work & then show them the receipts, which can be a pain. So just go for a $ figure.

As part of relocation costs, I assume you will be negotiating temporary accommodation for around 4 weeks until you find long term accommodation. Again I would just go for a $ figure, where it is up to you after that to decide how to spend the money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would negotiate the highest $ figure & then you can decide how to spend the money. Some companies will tell you they will cover the cost, which means you have to do the work & then show them the receipts, which can be a pain. So just go for a $ figure.

As part of relocation costs, I assume you will be negotiating temporary accommodation for around 4 weeks until you find long term accommodation. Again I would just go for a $ figure, where it is up to you after that to decide how to spend the money.
Thanks Syd. We have a couple of accommodation options - most likely my in-laws house - so we won't need that. Car rentals and flights will be paid too. We've done this process more times than I like to count, just not to Australia before :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Got the kid Battlefront 2 for xmas. Was $99 in the Xbox store, $89 everywhere else, and $49 at Big W! And yeah my acoustic-electric has some serious sentimental value. I've got a hard case for it so it's definitely coming home after the next US trip.
Haha. Big W for the win! I was a little shocked at the prices, but if I can't play hockey regularly on the ice, I'll have to go with on a video game console!

Yeah, I'm thinking it needs to come with on the first trip to Australia as we don't know when/if we will come back.

I wonder if the guitar will need to go through quarantine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haha. Big W for the win! I was a little shocked at the prices, but if I can't play hockey regularly on the ice, I'll have to go with on a video game console!

Yeah, I'm thinking it needs to come with on the first trip to Australia as we don't know when/if we will come back.

I brought my guitar first time I moved here. No problems, just remember to declare it. It's mainly untreated wood they are concerned with.

·
Registered
11 Posts

If you have any doubts about quarantine, I would suggest to check bio-security website at agriculture(dot)gov(dot)au and go to "travel" and "moving to Australia" section.

But as a general rule, if wood is treated (laminated/painted/chemically treated/etc) and it fits (or considered) carry on, its fine.

As for video games, EB Games usually have all of the latest games, although prices can vary, but EB Games also deals with pre-owned consoles/accessories/games/etc which makes it best place to shop games.

Gumtree and facebook marketplace is also great for pre-owned games.

Finally CashConverters is another option for pre-owned games/consoles, but its not for everybody, think of this as a pawnshop in dodgy neighborhood kind of way.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

Who says you can't play regular hockey?!!

Your post implys there is another form of hockey off ice? I just want to clear up any confusion for the other posters here - there is no other hockey - if it doesn't involve ice and a puck then it is stickball.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.