Australia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have been looking everywhere to find a definitive answer for this (but cant find one anywhere!) - is there a minimum salary that my partner must be earning in order to be able to sponsor me for an onshore de facto visa? (For example, to sponsor a marriage visa in the US you must be earning approx. 20k/year) In addition, is there any previous length of time he must have been earning this amount or some kind of minimum savings/assets we must have?

We are currently both graduate students in the UK earning very little, but on his return to Australia he will find a full-time job asap. Can we apply for the de facto partner visa as soon as he finds an Australian job?

Thanks so much :) :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Hi guys! I have been looking everywhere to find a definitive answer for this (but cant find one anywhere!) - is there a minimum salary that my partner must be earning in order to be able to sponsor me for an onshore de facto visa? (For example, to sponsor a marriage visa in the US you must be earning approx. 20k/year) In addition, is there any previous length of time he must have been earning this amount or some kind of minimum savings/assets we must have?

We are currently both graduate students in the UK earning very little, but on his return to Australia he will find a full-time job asap. Can we apply for the de facto partner visa as soon as he finds an Australian job?

Thanks so much :) :) :) :)
There is no longer a financial requirement Ellifire, it was removed some years ago.
We have seen people on a Centrelink benefit successfully spinsor their partner.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes unlike the UK and USA we won't discriminate on who can bring a spouse to Australia ;)

I'm having this issue at the moment trying to get a UK spouse visa.

Best of luck with your application :)

Reactions: Smurphy

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Hi guys! Both of these requirements must be met at the time you submit your spousal sponsorship application, but there is no specific length of time you need to wait before you can send the application in. In other words, you can submit your spousal sponsorship application the day after you stop receiving welfare benefits or your bankruptcy is discharged.
Thats not right, you DO NOT have to stop receiving welfare payments before sponsoring a partner for a visa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.