Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a 475 visa holder that has lived for 8 months in Adelaide. I actually like this city and people are amazing BUT... I have not got a proper job, just commission based sales jobs that as most of you know, are not the most desirable jobs (can be better than cleaning or kitchen hand jobs that I would never be willing to do but still... actually on those jobs at least you get a salary while on commission-only you are never certain, some good weeks, some shitty weeks...).

I am an Economist and there are few (if none) offers in Adelaide or SA but when I look to SEEK or other job search websites there are lots of offers in Sydney and Melbourne for my career...

I would like to move to any of those cities as I love Australia and want to try my life here, I am single, no kids & commitments and still young and sexy :) , but I am aware of the condition that I cannot live and work in any of those big cities before getting the 887, and so I would have to be here for 3 years! And yes, I knew this was a regional area and that this was a tough city for getting jobs but didn't think was THAT tough!

Because of that I would like to know what are the possibilities I have in order to make the move, which other visas I could apply while on a 475, - - can I get an student visa and move to Sydney?
- If marry an Aussie person can I make the move?
- Would I be able to get a 190 visa?

Please somebody help me because I wanna move to Sydney or Melbourne!!! I am aware is really difficult but I would like to know if there are possibilities or if I just have to let pass these 3 years here or maybe go back home...

I love Australia but see few possibilities for me in Adelaide or Regional Australia in general. If somebody has been able to make the move and then granted permanent visa please give me advise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a couple of things to consider:

- You cannot just marry an Australian person. First you need to be in a relationship with one; and B you have to proove joint life, living together time, etc, then you have to apply and then wait for the visa (over a year wait). By the time you meet someone; live with them; marry; have evidences; have your visa 2 year will have passed. And marrying just for a visa is fraud.

- Melbourne and Sydney have more job offers on Seek BUT they have also much more people applying for those job offers - so at the end it is not as easy as it seems (I don't know specifically for your occupation though).

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
As far as I know, you are only allowed to live/work in a specified regional area on this visa. There is no option to be released from these conditions. You could certainly apply for another visa, which would then replace your 475. But unless it takes you a further step towards PR status, you may end up shooting yourself in the foot.

If you qualify for a 190 visa, that may be your best option.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Because of that I would like to know what are the possibilities I have in order to make the move, which other visas I could apply while on a 475, - - can I get an student visa and move to Sydney?
- If marry an Aussie person can I make the move?
- Would I be able to get a 190 visa?

You can't escape the sc. 475 condition by applying for an onshore partner visa.

If:
(a) the applicant is the holder of:
(ii) a Subclass 475 (Skilled - Regional Sponsored) visa;
the applicant has substantially complied with the conditions to which that visa was subject.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't escape the sc. 475 condition by applying for an onshore partner visa.

If:
(a) the applicant is the holder of:
(ii) a Subclass 475 (Skilled - Regional Sponsored) visa;
the applicant has substantially complied with the conditions to which that visa was subject.
Thanks Nick for your answer. As of my case, Would I be able to apply for a Student Visa or a 190 visa to replace the 475 while being here? Are there no other options?

I really want to leave this city but the other regional areas are even WORSE, so I would like to know if I can get advise about which possibilities I have rather than just going back home... I like Australia but it seems Adelaide is not the place for me

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a couple of things to consider:

- You cannot just marry an Australian person. First you need to be in a relationship with one; and B you have to proove joint life, living together time, etc, then you have to apply and then wait for the visa (over a year wait). By the time you meet someone; live with them; marry; have evidences; have your visa 2 year will have passed. And marrying just for a visa is fraud.

- Melbourne and Sydney have more job offers on Seek BUT they have also much more people applying for those job offers - so at the end it is not as easy as it seems (I don't know specifically for your occupation though).
You are right Helen, probably the marriage option doesn't work in my case.

It is also true that it is not easy neither in Sydney or Melbourne but at least there are more possibilities, those cities are so big that I feel something would happen as are more open and international cities so they don't mess with the "local experience" thing as much as they do here and my overseas experience would be valued, those cities are connected with the world, are big markets if thinking about a new business, Adelaide is a big country town that lacks connection with the world and has no opportunities for young people, unfortunately is like that...

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Thanks Nick for your answer. As of my case, Would I be able to apply for a Student Visa or a 190 visa to replace the 475 while being here? Are there no other options?

I really want to leave this city but the other regional areas are even WORSE, so I would like to know if I can get advise about which possibilities I have rather than just going back home... I like Australia but it seems Adelaide is not the place for me

Thanks in advance
A student visa would not make any sense as it would not guarantee a pathway to PR. Furthermore, I don't believe that a sc. 475 visa is a qualifying visa for an onshore student visa application (sorry, didn't have time to verify this) and there would be Genuine Temporary Entrant issues.

I can't see anything stopping you from applying for a sc. 190 visa, although the sponsoring state might have questions about your commitment to stay put.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A student visa would not make any sense as it would not guarantee a pathway to PR. Furthermore, I don't believe that a sc. 475 visa is a qualifying visa for an onshore student visa application (sorry, didn't have time to verify this) and there would be Genuine Temporary Entrant issues.

I can't see anything stopping you from applying for a sc. 190 visa, although the sponsoring state might have questions about your commitment to stay put.
Thanks for your answer Nick. Looking to the NSW Skilled Occupation List (SOL) my career is listed ("Land Economist").

I did the assesment for the 475 with VETASSES. I would need to do it again? or the previous VETASSES assesment may still be valid?

About my commitment to stay, how can I show it? If I get a 190 PR OF COURSE would be highly committed to live and work in Sydney, is the place I feel have the best opportunities for me in Australia, I can show all the rejection letters I have received in South Australia and how bored I feel here... If possible, how long would take the application and which risks I could face? If rejected would have to leave Australia as 475 would not be valid anymore?

Please help and Thanks in Advance!

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Thanks for your answer Nick. Looking to the NSW Skilled Occupation List (SOL) my career is listed ("Land Economist").

I did the assesment for the 475 with VETASSES. I would need to do it again? or the previous VETASSES assesment may still be valid?

About my commitment to stay, how can I show it? If I get a 190 PR OF COURSE would be highly committed to live and work in Sydney, is the place I feel have the best opportunities for me in Australia, I can show all the rejection letters I have received in South Australia and how bored I feel here... If possible, how long would take the application and which risks I could face? If rejected would have to leave Australia as 475 would not be valid anymore?

Please help and Thanks in Advance!
A skills assessment is only valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or when a period of three years from the date of issue has elapsed, whichever occurs first.

As for the state requirements and evidence of commitment I really could not advise you on this without getting a lot of detail and spending time researching your case against the relevant state's requirements.

No time for that on on a public forum. Happy to assist with professional advice if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You are right Helen, probably the marriage option doesn't work in my case.

It is also true that it is not easy neither in Sydney or Melbourne but at least there are more possibilities, those cities are so big that I feel something would happen as are more open and international cities so they don't mess with the "local experience" thing as much as they do here and my overseas experience would be valued, those cities are connected with the world, are big markets if thinking about a new business, Adelaide is a big country town that lacks connection with the world and has no opportunities for young people, unfortunately is like that...
Too bad you feel like leaving Adelaide...

Adelaide is the fifth-largest city of Australia, has estimated resident population of 1.5 million. It ranks highly in terms of liveability, being listed in the Top 10 of The Economist's World's Most Liveable Cities index in 2010, 2011 and 2012. It was also ranked the most liveable city in Australia by the Property Council of Australia in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.