Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have posted a short query in one of the threads here, but I thought I should prolly make a thread so more people can hopefully read and help.

I'm not sure if my boyfriend and I are ready for this visa, so I would like to know what you guys think with regards of our chances of being accepted/rejected.

So here are the facts:

-We've been together for 3 years, going 4 this October. We met online.
-I applied for a tourist visa in 2011, in hopes to meet him for the first time but got rejected because I was a fresh college graduate, with no job yet.
-We met for the first time in Hong Kong in 2012. Spent 5 days there with his family.
-We met again in Hong Kong in 2013. This time 6 days with my family.
-I'm turning 24 this year, he's turning 22. I work as a writer and honestly, have very little savings stowed. He's an Accounting student, about to graduate this July. He works as a part time F&B attendant.
-He's planning to visit me here in the PH this August for a month before he starts working full-time.
-We're still starting; we're not "settled". So if a hefty bank account is a requirement, we won't qualify :(
-The reason why we weren't able to meet much is he's busy with uni and work and I'm also focused on work. Vacation leaves are short and funds are also a concern. I also never tried applying for a tourist visa in Australia again. I don't want to. I'm scared :\

What do you guys think? What do we lack? Does the time we spent together considered enough? Are we prepared to apply for a visa?

Also, what if we get married here in the Philippines when he comes over in August? Would that be easier or more difficult?

We badly need some advice.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
The first question is if you want to get married as you refer to him as your boyfriend not fiance. Language is important in visa's.

Definitely do not get married. The requirements for a spouse visa are so much more higher than a pmv. The requirements for a pmv is that you have met in person since turning 18 which you have.

There is no requirement on having a specific amount of money for the visa.

Seeing each other with each others family is a good thing. The only thing that concerns me is only seeing each other for 1 week a year, really I am not sure how a co will take that. It could be OK if you explain why. Also I would leave lodging until after he has visited in August as that will help and also an engagement party will too.

Also don't worry about the tourist visa rejection. Alot of people get rejected for tourist visa's and go on the get approved for a pmv. Just remember they are different set of criteria.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Mish - He hasn't proposed yet because I told him that if he "liked it then he shoulda put a ring on it" (but he can't afford my dream princess cut yet). Hehe nah just kidding. It's because we didn't have the perfect opportunity yet, as our twice meeting was like our "who are you really?" stage. I mentioned the engagement party as an important aspect when applying for this visa, and he said he'll have something prepared when he comes over.

Yeah, I find it troubling too that we have only met for a week in a year. Crazy. But we couldn't do anything about it :\ He's studying two degrees and working at the same time so his time is really limited. Not to mention he only works part time, so we don't really have much. And I never dared try applying for a tourist visa to Australia again, so Hong Kong has been our favourite place.

It's also very difficult for me to go overseas in general because of the restrictions they put to Filipino citizens. It's kinda' sad, how just because I'm a Filipino they think I'm going overseas to troll around and not come back. I earn average wage that enables me to have enough for travel and lodging, but I don't have something they call "show money" *sigh* (sorry I'm rambling)

Also thanks for clarifying that Partner Visa isn't the one for us. It makes the path we should go much clearer now. :)

@ampk - Yes, he is an Australian citizen. :)

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
Firstly before you apply you need to be engaged because you need to marry within 9 months of grant.

You can post a message in "Ask Mark!" and see what he says. Each country and co is different. The positive for you is that from what I have seen Phillipines is not that hard core compared to other high risk countries.

I know what you mean about the tourist visa as my fiance is from a high risk country. As an Australian it makes me realise how lucky we are that we can pretty much go to any country in the world that we want to.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Ady90, Mish is onto it. Seems PMV is the visa you require, Your short times together can be explained, you will need however a NOIM so that marriage booking needs to be done, as will documents for proof of it being more than a boy/girl relationship eg joint things - bank accounts, memberships, invitations, physical items etc. This is a lot harder.

Also I think your future plans work, family housing over a long period in detail will assist in your application. I agree I think your location is less hard core than many other high risk countries but do your best in the application to over prove than allow a chance of rejection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Mish - When he comes over in August, we'll definitely be engaged. :) Also posted in Ask Mark to see what he thinks.

@ampk - That's actually what I'm worried about, that they won't take our relationship seriously. :S We don't have joint bank accounts or memberships or anything like that. We do have travel documents, hotel bookings, letters, and small packages he sent me. He regularly gives me funds via PayPal too, so would a screenshot of that be included? I really am not sure with what evidence to show.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Hand written letters? dated?. Money transfers/support is fairly normal but yes include. Think of anything you can to get your names together, as I said its the hard part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have posted a short query in one of the threads here, but I thought I should prolly make a thread so more people can hopefully read and help.

I'm not sure if my boyfriend and I are ready for this visa, so I would like to know what you guys think with regards of our chances of being accepted/rejected.

So here are the facts:

-We've been together for 3 years, going 4 this October. We met online.
-I applied for a tourist visa in 2011, in hopes to meet him for the first time but got rejected because I was a fresh college graduate, with no job yet.
-We met for the first time in Hong Kong in 2012. Spent 5 days there with his family.
-We met again in Hong Kong in 2013. This time 6 days with my family.
-I'm turning 24 this year, he's turning 22. I work as a writer and honestly, have very little savings stowed. He's an Accounting student, about to graduate this July. He works as a part time F&B attendant.
-He's planning to visit me here in the PH this August for a month before he starts working full-time.
-We're still starting; we're not "settled". So if a hefty bank account is a requirement, we won't qualify :(
-The reason why we weren't able to meet much is he's busy with uni and work and I'm also focused on work. Vacation leaves are short and funds are also a concern. I also never tried applying for a tourist visa in Australia again. I don't want to. I'm scared :\

What do you guys think? What do we lack? Does the time we spent together considered enough? Are we prepared to apply for a visa?

Also, what if we get married here in the Philippines when he comes over in August? Would that be easier or more difficult?

We badly need some advice.
.. Mish was right, Pmv is much lesser documents than of spousal visa, I got a friend who recently got married, in Phils, oh well they met online thru a relatives in Brisbane, only started meeting sometimes around February last year, came October the guy came here in HK and proposed, and again travelled to Phils to facilitate the weddings and start some document, well they got married last January, now heres what happen, bride has to name change her passport status, since she was married to a foreigner she has to attend seminar for changing his status, they have to wait for their authenticated marriage certificate and will take some time to facilitate. Pmv like me was much of a lesser documents required, and yes meeting in person was a main factor + photos and other papers.
Tourist visa, like what I asked to Mark and clearly explain to me, they are unpredictable, I am a filipina and I worked here in Hongkong, my employers knows I am chatting to my bf as we call almost everyday, and last year I asked my boss if I can tour to Melbourne, and in a snap of a finger my boss says sure why not, go and meet this guy we will support you ( thank god for that it was like winning lotery few employers allows their employee to travel alone aside from Phils.. for one reason they might stay overstay, went to inquire at the consulate here in Hk and prepared all my documents and show money, as I always set aside money in my bank account. With the help of my boss supporting letter that state in the letter where I am going to stay, duration of my vacation his complete name and add. my sponsor, my employer and myself were all interviewed by phone and few min of personal appearance to CO. I got my visitors visa subclass 300 in 2 days.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Mish - When he comes over in August, we'll definitely be engaged. :) Also posted in Ask Mark to see what he thinks.

@ampk - That's actually what I'm worried about, that they won't take our relationship seriously. :S We don't have joint bank accounts or memberships or anything like that. We do have travel documents, hotel bookings, letters, and small packages he sent me. He regularly gives me funds via PayPal too, so would a screenshot of that be included? I really am not sure with what evidence to show.
Hello Ady90,

Any updates on your application? :) I'm from the PH too, about to apply PMV this year :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi LadyMamba - thanks for posting! We haven't applied yet. We keep pushing it further because we're scared of rejection. What we're planning to do now is try for a tourist visa for me to help with the evidence. If I get rejected, then we're definitely going for PMV if not late this year, then early next year. His trip last August happened and he stayed with us for two months. We went to Boracay (don't couples always do? ;) ). The distance sucks but he just graduated and got an accounting job that's pretty stable so we're still biding time and saving up at the moment. I've also been recently employed by an Australian company operating here in the PH so I'm gaining experience as much as I can so it won't be hard for me (hopefully) to get a job in Australia.

How's yours going?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ady90, was reading you post with interest as i am looking at PMV for my Thai partner.
One question that I wasn't too sure about was do you have to pay a second visa application fee once you marry your partner within that 9 month term of PMV approval to then get partner visa and become permanent resident in Australia as that would seem a little unfair of Aust goverment with regard to how much they charge.

If this was the case maybe getting married first and applying for one visa would be best in my situation. Any help would be much appriciated

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi Ady90, was reading you post with interest as i am looking at PMV for my Thai partner. One question that I wasn't too sure about was do you have to pay a second visa application fee once you marry your partner within that 9 month term of PMV approval to then get partner visa and become permanent resident in Australia as that would seem a little unfair of Aust goverment with regard to how much they charge. If this was the case maybe getting married first and applying for one visa would be best in my situation. Any help would be much appriciated
Hi Buzzars

You pay $4630 for PMV then for your 820/801 you pay $1450.

The above costs without additional applicant charge.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
Hi Ady90, was reading you post with interest as i am looking at PMV for my Thai partner.
One question that I wasn't too sure about was do you have to pay a second visa application fee once you marry your partner within that 9 month term of PMV approval to then get partner visa and become permanent resident in Australia as that would seem a little unfair of Aust goverment with regard to how much they charge.

If this was the case maybe getting married first and applying for one visa would be best in my situation. Any help would be much appriciated
Alot of people for the PMV because less evidence is required than the 309. The 309 can be hard to gather financial evidence etc when you are living in 2 different countries.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
From what you have posted you should be OK to apply for a prospective marriage visa. To save yourself running around in circles like a mad dog, I suggest you run your case past a registered migration agent who has Philippine experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.