Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am so confused about the requirement to applying for Australian Citizenship.

I was just looking at this.

I thought the old requirement was 4 years anyway but on few websites it says 1 year?

I recieved my PR 2005, lived here till 2015.
Left Australia for two years then came nack in 2017.

Am i eligble to apply for do i have to wait 4 years?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Copy of the photo:

New Australian citizenship 2018: residency requirement
Applicants for Australian citizenship will need to have a minimum of four years permanent residence immediately prior to their application for citizenship (as opposed to 1 year under the current system) with no more than one year spent outside Australia during that period.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i still dont get it. If ive lived here with PR for one year am i eligble to apply?

Or does it mean currently its 4 years (3years any visa + 1year PR) opposed to new law 4 year PR?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
There is no new law yet.

So it is after 1 year you can apply.

But immigration have slowed the processing of citizenship application.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i left the country for two years and its been 1 year since i came back. Am i eligle? I have PR for more then 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
So i left the country for two years and its been 1 year since i came back. Am i eligle? I have PR for more then 10 years.
You are not at the moment. You need to have been in Australia for 3 years in the last 4 years including for 9 months in the final 12 months of that time as a permanent resident.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
No - it’s a cumulative 9 months onshore within the 12 months before making the application. You need to have been a permanent resident during the whole 12 month period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No - it's a cumulative 9 months onshore within the 12 months before making the application. You need to have been a permanent resident during the whole 12 month period.
Thank you, Paul. My partner is on a permanent resident partner visa, subclass 100. In a phone call to Home Affairs for clarification about eligibility to apply for citizenship I was advised that 4 years as a permanent resident including 9 months in the year preceding application. I had previously been advised by various sources that only 1 year or 2 years in-country residence would be required. Now two years down, so two more to go. Thank you for your advice about the nine months as not necessarily being consecutive.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thank you, Paul. My partner is on a permanent resident partner visa, subclass 100. In a phone call to Home Affairs for clarification about eligibility to apply for citizenship I was advised that 4 years as a permanent resident including 9 months in the year preceding application. I had previously been advised by various sources that only 1 year or 2 years in-country residence would be required. Now two years down, so two more to go. Thank you for your advice about the nine months as not necessarily being consecutive.
Daniel,

I am in the same boat as your partner. as of now, the changes proposed which is saying 4 years as Permanent resident is not confirmed and not yet passed by the senate.

The government was planning to pass it through the senate before July 1st, but failed to present it as they don't have the required number of votes required to legislate the changes.

If for example, the changes are passed tomorrow, then we would have wait for four years to be as PR resident from the date of the grant of subclass 100. I have been in the country for 2.5yrs on subclass 309. All these period will be null and void if Peter Dutton gets his way. I will start counting from the date my PR 100 was granted. I will be eligible for for citizenship in 2022.

And if the changes fail, then I will be eligible in 2019.

See the difference?

Let's hope the changes do not get the support of the senate.

Hassan

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Hassan - thank you for supplying the useful clarification and background.

Daniel - this is why you see many posts on here telling you not to rely on the DHA helpline for accurate information. As Hassan advises, the law hasn't changed yet and, unless it does, the residence requirements are 3 years legally onshore within the 4 years prior to application with the final 12 months (9 onshore) as a PR. Clearly the Government wants this to change, but they have to get the votes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hassan - thank you for supplying the useful clarification and background.

Daniel - this is why you see many posts on here telling you not to rely on the DHA helpline for accurate information. As Hassan advises, the law hasn't changed yet and, unless it does, the residence requirements are 3 years legally onshore within the 4 years prior to application with the final 12 months (9 onshore) as a PR. Clearly the Government wants this to change, but they have to get the votes.
Thank you, Paul. Partner has been onshore for two years on a permanent residence visa subclass 100. As well as the 'advice' from the department, when I go to the citizenship application web page, the first question asks whether a PR for 4 years . If not, go away!

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
As well as the 'advice' from the department, when I go to the citizenship application web page, the first question asks whether a PR for 4 years . If not, go away!
The first page currently says:
Am I eligible?
I have lived in Australia for the last four years, including the last 12 months as a permanent resident.
Yes or No
It says 4 years residence in Australia, not specifically as PR for all 4 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.