Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This form states you have to identify all members of the family unit and list them on the form

However IMHO it leaves some open questions

1- is an ex-wife considered a family member since she is the mother to the child?
2- there is no place to state that this form does not apply if it does not apply
Do you just put N/A on Part 1, item 1 and just sign it?

Your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the heads up. I had already read that but it does not say anything about an ex-wife living in another country.

I enquired with an entity in the Phils that handles processing for the Aust embassy and here is what they said...

In reference to your email, below is our response.

Please be informed if that is the application of your child, the ex-wife is a member of the family unit since she is the biological mother of the applicant.

That does not make sense... especially if she is in another country, has remarried, etc No way to get that info.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Don't waste your time with those processing centres. You might as well ask your local fish monger.

This is what the migration regulations say and that's the only thing that matters:

Member of the family unit

General rule

(2) A person is a member of the family unit of another person (the family head) if the person:

(a) is a spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(b) is a child or step‑child of the family head or of a spouse or de facto partner of the family head (other than a child or step‑child who is engaged to be married or has a spouse or de facto partner) and:

(i) has not turned 18; or

(ii) has turned 18, but has not turned 23, and is dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(iii) has turned 23 and is under paragraph 1.05A(1)(b) dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(c) is a dependent child of a person who meets the conditions in paragraph (b).

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
A person will be a MoFU of another person (the family head) if the person:
is a child or step child of the family head.

If the 47a applicant is the child of your ex-wife, then your ex-wife is part of the child's family unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick
Thank you so kindly for your replies but I am a bit lost as they appear to contradict each other.

The first reply states "General rule

(2) A person is a member of the family unit of another person (the family head) if the person:

(a) is a spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or . . ."

The ex-wife is not a spouse or de facto partner so my belief is that she does not qualify.

.Your second response says "A person will be a MoFU of another person (the family head) if the person:
is a child or step child of the family head.

If the 47a applicant is the child of your ex-wife, then your ex-wife is part of the child's family unit. "

The sponsor is the father who is not married to the ex-wife so the ex can not be part of the family unit I believe.

Let's step back and consider this ... A man can not petition for his ex-wife to move to Australia since there is no fertile grounds for such a request.

Would that mean, hypothetically, if ZaZa Gabor wanted to petition a daughter to Australia if Gabor was an Aussie, that she would have to include all 10 of her ex-husbands on 47A?

The ex is not a member of the sponsor's (eg family head) family unit.

We are mixing the sponsors family unit with the childs family unit so which one counts.?

Bottom line, does the ex have to be put on form 47 A, and if not do you just put N/A on the form?

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick
I think I have it...The form heading is 47A Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over

That in itself appears to answer my query. An ex is not a child or dependent family member.

Besides the questions on the form would be very difficult to answer about an ex who lives in another country if no communication is made between the two ex's.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I think you are over-thinking this. You have to look at it from the point of view of the "member of the family unit" whose details are entered on the form.

The dependent child's details are entered in part B (member of family unit)

At part C, enter the names of biological and step parents and siblings. if not enough room, use part E.

If whereabouts are unknown, writer "UNKNOWN".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NIck
Yes, I understand what you are saying. My problem was that I over analyzed this form because it is called "Details of child or other dependent family member
aged 18 years or over".

Since it is only ex-wife, that is no problem. We will put in UNKNOWN because her address is of no business to Aussie govt.

Thank you for your help on this matter.
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Australia visa Form 47A

Nick I finally got 47A in hand.. LOL Thank you
Say I read two bits of information but can not recall where I read them.
Your help would be greatly appreciated

It says
1 - all documents but be A4 size
2- all extraneous correspondence (eg letter from employer, school transcripts, etc) must have certain information on the correspondence such as name, but I do not recall the others.
supporting documents

Also what is your website link? You can send as message if you desire.
Enjoy the weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.