Australia Forum banner

361 - 380 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Applied citizenship- 12/June/2019
Test invitation-16/February/2020
Test date & interview-18/March/2020

Now!! my wife application approved 18/march/2020 same day.
But mine with my kid status still received.

I thought lets share it. And will see how long it takes to mine.

Anyone has any idea what do they check in main time and gives you approvel..

Or they check everything before the test???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Applied: 4 June 2019
Test invite: 17 Feb 2020
Test date: 13 Mar 2020
Approval: 13 Mar 2020
Ceremony: TBA
Applied to citizenship after whole skilled migration scheme

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got an email from home affairs. They've cancelled our ceremony until further notice :(. I guess cause of the corona spreading. I hope they'll introduce a virtual pledge so we can get our certificate. Despite the fact that we're no longer be able to travel in this situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

Hey guys,
So here's my timelines

Citizenship application date : 10th Dec 2019
Interview/Test Date received date : 13th Mar 2020
Interview/Test Date : 18th May 2020

Now with this COVID-19 locked down etc.. not sure what'll be happening to my test date..

Also a question for you guys please. I had to redo my translation of my documents as the ones that I had attached originally to the application were done from my local country. I now have the these translated by NAATI certified translator. Should I be attaching them to the application now or ok to just take them with me when i go for the interview?

Ta,
K.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Hey guys,
So here's my timelines

Now with this COVID-19 locked down etc.. not sure what'll be happening to my test date..

Also a question for you guys please. I had to redo my translation of my documents as the ones that I had attached originally to the application were done from my local country. I now have the these translated by NAATI certified translator. Should I be attaching them to the application now or ok to just take them with me when i go for the interview?

Ta,
K.
I have seen on Facebook that someone that had their test scheduled for the end of March got an email/SMS from Home Affairs saying that it is now rescheduled until August 2020. As your is scheduled for May but they are waiting to see how things go before they contact you to reschedule it ... who knows.

My husband provided us translation that was done overseas and there was no issue at all.

I would attach it to the online application.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey guys,
So here's my timelines

Ta,
K.
My original test and interview date was scheduled for April, but last week I received an sms saying that due to coronavirus, my test date has been changed to August 21st 2020.

Apparently, this does not affect the total time frame on the citizenship process. I was told this over the phone by Home Affairs. I find this odd, as I know people have received their approval within days after the test and interview, and then had their ceremony a few months later. Going by this, I would have maybe had my ceremony by August or even earlier, but maybe I was dreaming...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll be applying for my Citizenship on the day of eligibility in early June, however I'm concerned now that the waiting and processing time will grow exponentially due to the Corona virus. If they're cancelling both the tests and ceremonies, won't this cause a clog in the system? As far as I'm aware, you can expect to wait around a year from applying to getting your citizenship, give or take... Will this likely see people waiting 2-3 years now?

edit: Just checked and it's apparently 21-24 months now, what was the estimated processing time in recent months?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My original test and interview date was scheduled for April, but last week I received an sms saying that due to coronavirus, my test date has been changed to August 21st 2020.

Apparently, this does not affect the total time frame on the citizenship process. I was told this over the phone by Home Affairs. I find this odd, as I know people have received their approval within days after the test and interview, and then had their ceremony a few months later. Going by this, I would have maybe had my ceremony by August or even earlier, but maybe I was dreaming...
Thank you for the info.. Let's just wait and see i suppose :(

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Apparently, this does not affect the total time frame on the citizenship process. I was told this over the phone by Home Affairs.
A lot of the 'over the phone' from Home Affairs can be contradictory. They also can't control how long local councils take to do the ceremonies

Everything will probably be 'on hold' for as long as it takes now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Citizenship Ceremony Waiver Petition

For everyone waiting for Citizenship Ceremony invitation or have had Citizenship Ceremony postponed. Please consider signing this petition requesting DOHA to temporarily waive Citizenship Ceremony for approved applicants.

Head to change.org and type Waive Citizenship Ceremonies for Approved Applicants. I can't post a URL link - if someone is an active member - please share the link so people can easily access the petition.

NZ already waived the citizenship ceremony requirement for all approved applications.

While it would be great to attend the ceremony, at this rate we are looking at potentially waiting for months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For everyone waiting for Citizenship Ceremony invitation or have had Citizenship Ceremony postponed. Please consider signing this petition requesting DOHA to temporarily waive Citizenship Ceremony for approved applicants.

Head to change.org and type Waive Citizenship Ceremonies for Approved Applicants. I can't post a URL link - if someone is an active member - please share the link so people can easily access the petition.

NZ already waived the citizenship ceremony requirement for all approved applications.

While it would be great to attend the ceremony, at this rate we are looking at potentially waiting for months.
https://www.change.org/p/australian...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I did the test on the 9 March still haven't received the confirmation letter of approval.

Is anyone in the same situation?

Best Regards

PR 24Oct2015
Citizenship application 28Oct2019
Citizenship appointment letter 04Mar2020 (date original appointment 27May2020)
Citizenship test 09Mar2020 (changed the date)

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Hi all

I did the test on the 9 March still haven't received the confirmation letter of approval.

Is anyone in the same situation?

Best Regards

PR 24Oct2015
Citizenship application 28Oct2019
Citizenship appointment letter 04Mar2020 (date original appointment 27May2020)
Citizenship test 09Mar2020 (changed the date)
The approval can anywhere from same day to months and sometimes even over a year. It will eventually come.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll be applying for my Citizenship on the day of eligibility in early June, however I'm concerned now that the waiting and processing time will grow exponentially due to the Corona virus. If they're cancelling both the tests and ceremonies, won't this cause a clog in the system? As far as I'm aware, you can expect to wait around a year from applying to getting your citizenship, give or take... Will this likely see people waiting 2-3 years now?

edit: Just checked and it's apparently 21-24 months now, what was the estimated processing time in recent months?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

I am guessing there will be bad delays.
I assume no tests for a while, so almost certainly a longer delay for that, followed by a larger queue for council ceremonies.
My wife has just applied (February), but now we have to just wait again.

Official Australian Citizenship Processing Times
From date of application to ceremony
  • In December 2019, 75% were processed in 21 months or less, and 10% took over 24 months.
  • In July 2019, 75% were processed in 20 months or less, and 10% took over 24 months.
  • In May 2019, 75% were done within 16 months and 10% took over 20 months.
These figures relate to Citizenship by conferral.

Some recent actuals:
  • Applied in Oct 2017 with Ceremony in Nov 2019 after 24.4 months.
  • Applied in Jan 2018 with Ceremony in Nov 2019 after 21.7 months.
  • Applied in Aug 2018 with Ceremony in Nov 2019 after 15 months.
  • Applied in Oct 2018 with Ceremony in Jan 2020 after 15.4 months.
  • Applied in May 2018 with Ceremony in Jan 2020 after 20.5 months.
  • Applied in Sep 2019 with Ceremony in Feb 2020 after 4.9 months.
  • Applied in Jun 2019 with Ceremony in Feb 2020 after 7.4 months.

Reactions: PinkLady

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Online Citizenship ceremonies until the zombies are defeated.

No tests or interviews before then though. So yay if you have been approved, boo if you are about to apply.
There are currently 85,000 people awaiting a ceremony.
They hope to do up to 750 video ceremonies per day.
That could clear the current backlog in 4 months...

I wonder if they could do the tests by video on line next..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There are currently 85,000 people awaiting a ceremony.
They hope to do up to 750 video ceremonies per day.
That could clear the current backlog in 4 months...

I wonder if they could do the tests by video on line next..
Should make it a permanent option going forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been a silent observer ,Thank you to all for sharing it has brought me peace in understanding what is going on and possible time lines , I had a 3.5 year wait for permanent residency from 2008 due to backlog , I was not looking forward to the same frustrations.

Applied in Brisbane , conferral application
eligible 14 Jan 2019
Submitted 14 Dec 2019
Test / interview initially scheduled for 6/4/2020
Rescheduled to 11/2/2020 passed test/interview
Approved online 25/3/20 , approval letter followed a week later,

Suspect delay in approval is due to them checking my police record as I had numerous drink driving offences in my uni days , but I noted them on my application. Probably when there is an additional element to your application observed during interview ,you are put into a more in depth review queue. Hence no instant approval.

Now Awaiting ceremony , hoping for virtual process

Whole process 3 months in total , Good luck to all.

361 - 380 of 615 Posts