Australia Forum banner
481 - 500 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My husband applied 25/6/2019 and is also still waiting for his test 😞 we are also in Toowoomba QLD.

Not sure if any of you signed the petition to restart citizenship tests over at http://chng.it/wwRw6KzhFH

There is now a petition presented to the House of Representatives of the Australian Parliament to restart tests/interviews. Australian citizens and residents can add their name to the petition https://www.aph.gov.au/petition_list?id=EN1697

If you haven't signed yet, please do!
Ok, thanks, i will sign it, thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, i called Home affairs last week and they told me QLD will start Tests/Interviews from 10th Aug onward, keep fingers crossed :cool:
Oh that is great news (if it actually happens)! I emailed the MP for Groom i.e. Toowoomba and his assistant said that my enquiry was forwarded to the office of the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, for further consideration.

Reactions: Arosh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good news

Australian citizenship testing and interviews that were suspended earlier this year due to the coronavirus pandemic are resuming in capital cities across the country.
The federal government says the appointments have started in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth and will also resume in Canberra, Hobart and Darwin later this month.
The suspension of processing had caused widespread concern among pending applicants, who were worried about a growing backlog.

Acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge said the resumption of testing would allow more migrants to progress towards making the pledge of allegiance.
"The interview and tests are important steps in the process of applying for Australian citizenship, ensuring the integrity of our citizenship decisions," he said.
A record 204,000 people became Australian citizens last financial year despite the coronavirus disruption, while 73,000 online ceremonies were conducted during the pandemic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is from the immigration website.. testing has started again ..

New applications for Australian citizenship are being accepted.

Processing continues on all applications for Australian citizenship that have already been lodged with the Department.

In-person citizenship appointments and tests are resuming across states and territories in accordance with health guidelines.

Eligible individuals will be contacted and invited to attend a citizenship appointment or test. There is no need to contact the Department about your citizenship appointment or test.

In-person citizenship appointments and tests normally conducted by Services Australia in regional locations remain on hold. Details for the resumption of these services will be updated as information becomes available.

Currently, in-person citizenship appointments are available at:

Department of Home Affairs office, Adelaide SA
Department of Home Affairs office, Brisbane QLD
Department of Home Affairs office, Parramatta NSW
Department of Home Affairs office, Perth WA

last updated 14 August 2020

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship

Reactions: hfarook and Akya

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hey, i called Home affairs last week and they told me QLD will start Tests/Interviews from 10th Aug onward, keep fingers crossed :cool:
My wife applied in February, we live closer to Toowoomba than Brisbane, but chose Brisbane for the Test.

With in-person citizenship appointments and tests in regional locations remaining on hold, I am hoping that we get something from Brisbane at some stage..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm gonna continue annoying my local member of parliament... Does anyone know if it's possible to call Home Affairs and request them to change the preferred citizenship
appointment location?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I'm gonna continue annoying my local member of parliament... Does anyone know if it's possible to call Home Affairs and request them to change the preferred citizenship
appointment location?
It might be possible.

I did my own Citizenship in 2011, and changed it from my local area at the time, to do it in Brisbane instead.

I can't recall how I did it now, but it did involve sending in an application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Date Eligible: 29/04/2020
Date Applied: 29/04/2020
City/Council Area: Port Phillip City Council (VIC)
Online/Paper: Online
Date of Citizenship Test: TBC
Date of Approval: TBC

A few of my friends have already passed the exam recently, so they have been able to do online ceremonies (8 months total from applying). However due to Stage 4 and 3 restrictions in VIC, anticipating long waits to get tests..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, I don;'t think that's possible, they won't allow, however worth to give a call and see, Good luck
Hi

I just called Home affairs to check on changing centers, you can do it only if you have already got the test date , unless you can't change the city before you get the appointment , this is really annoying and not fair to delay like this!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi

I just called Home affairs to check on changing centers, you can do it only if you have already got the test date , unless you can't change the city before you get the appointment , this is really annoying and not fair to delay like this!!!
Urgh that's frustrating :mad: Thanks for the update though! I don't think they will be giving test dates out to those outside of the current test locations :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am going to submit application online soon.

Can you please let me know how I should provide police check - scan and submit online or send it by post.

Also, did you provide documents you were only asked for or any additional as well.

Thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Urgh that's frustrating :mad: Thanks for the update though! I don't think they will be giving test dates out to those outside of the current test locations :(
Hi All

please see below feedback i got from Regional citizenship team today when i ask them the possibility of transfer my application to Brisbane

Quote:
The Department has recommenced limited citizenship testing services in Brisbane.

You are able to request that your application be transferred to Brisbane, but be advised that it will be placed in an appointment queue and we cannot guarantee any timeframe for your appointment.

Please confirm if you wish to attend your test appointment in Brisbane at the Department of Home Affairs office. Otherwise, your application will remain with your nearest Services Australia office, and you will be contacted when a citizenship appointment is scheduled.

UNQUOTE

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi All

please see below feedback i got from Regional citizenship team today when i ask them the possibility of transfer my application to Brisbane

Quote:
The Department has recommenced limited citizenship testing services in Brisbane.

You are able to request that your application be transferred to Brisbane, but be advised that it will be placed in an appointment queue and we cannot guarantee any timeframe for your appointment.

Please confirm if you wish to attend your test appointment in Brisbane at the Department of Home Affairs office. Otherwise, your application will remain with your nearest Services Australia office, and you will be contacted when a citizenship appointment is scheduled.

UNQUOTE
Hey Akya

Do you think that i should transfer my appointment to Brisbane? will it get more delay than here :(:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Akya

Do you think that i should transfer my appointment to Brisbane? will it get more delay than here :(:confused:
Thanks for your update with your response from the regional citizenship team! That's a very tough decision :eek: Were they able to give any time frames?

I'm sick of paying my husband's uni fees upfront and just want him to get HECS already, but I don't want him to be moved to the back of a queue either! I think we'll wait it out but fingers crossed regional centres will reopen soon. :cool:

Let us know what you decide

Reactions: Arosh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your update with your response from the regional citizenship team! That's a very tough decision :eek: Were they able to give any time frames?

I'm sick of paying my husband's uni fees upfront and just want him to get HECS already, but I don't want him to be moved to the back of a queue either! I think we'll wait it out but fingers crossed regional centres will reopen soon. :cool:

Let us know what you decide
I'm pretty sure they would give the priority for Brisbane applications first and then they will consider TWB ones if they have time slots , so i decided to stay my application in TWB ! This is really frustrating :(:mad::confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone applied in 2020 Feb has received a test date? (remember seeing a couple on this thread)

My council is Sydney.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone applied in 2020 Feb has received a test date? (remember seeing a couple on this thread)

My council is Sydney.
hello! i applied Feb 2020 in Sydney but still nothing.

Good news though, i just saw that they added Sydney city testing centre to the list! so its finally going to progress again...

481 - 500 of 620 Posts