Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a dismissed misdemeanor bar myself from acquiring Australian citizenship/Appropriate VISA? (My fiancee is a Australian national, and we intend to marry in the future). I'm currently not a resident in AU, nor do I hold a VISA of any kind.

I imagine it not being a problem, though I do have some concern. It will still show up on a background check, but with the appropriate inclusion of dismissal. It's not a conviction.

As you can imagine, anything that can affect my ability to be with my loved one is distressing, regardless of how miniscule it is.

I'm hoping for any information in this area. I'm American born, and a US citizen.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you have a look at the Character check info, you'll see that someone requires a conviction of a crime serious enough to give a minimum 12 months jail sentence for there to be an automatic exclusion and so if nothing like that happened, a minor offence or whatever may not affect your application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. That's good news for me. I'll be sure to look further into all relevant info.

(I did not look at the Character Check info)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
That's the character check re any visa you may apply for btw,
the partner or prospective marriage visa
You can look at details via Family - Visas & Immigration or the menu on left of that page and you need to reside in Oz for four years to get citizenship.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.