Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm extremely curious as to what I am entitled to (if any) in my particular situation:

I was born in Brisbane, Australia in 1990. Both my parents were undergoing graduate school at the time. A few months after I was born, my father was offered a job in Papua New Guinea and we had moved there permanently. We would visit Australia on a constant basis (once or twice a year) for vacation for about 10 years, but never lived there after moving. Shortly after my 12th birthday we had moved back home Egypt, permanently.

I understand that one is granted citizenship automatically at the age of 10 when born to non-Australian non-Permanent resident parents.

Would I be eligible to apply for citizenship, given my birth if I wanted to return to work in Australia?
If not, would I be given any advantages over other applicants if I was to apply for a permanent residency, given my birth in Australia?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
163 Posts
"If neither parent was born in Australia, had not acquired Australian citizenship or was not a Permanent Resident at the time of the applicant’s birth and the applicant believes they were ordinarily resident* in Australia for the first 10 years of their life, the applicant will need to be referred to DIAC for evidence of citizenship."

I found this by googling "Citizenship by birth in Australia"-so it looks like you need to ring them re your special circumstances :)

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Unfortunately, as you can see from what shingle posted (and you can verify by going to the DIAC website, citizenship section) you're not going to qualify unless you actually LIVED in Australia during those ten years, which obviously you did not. Just going on a holiday to Australia is not going to come anywhere near meeting the requirements for being "ordinarily resident," which, even interpreting it the absolutely most lenient way, is going to mean you needed to reside in Australia more than half the time (and probably more like 3/4 of the time).

Reactions: 18302

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, as you can see from what shingle posted (and you can verify by going to the DIAC website, citizenship section) you're not going to qualify unless you actually LIVED in Australia during those ten years, which obviously you did not. Just going on a holiday to Australia is not going to come anywhere near meeting the requirements for being "ordinarily resident," which, even interpreting it the absolutely most lenient way, is going to mean you needed to reside in Australia more than half the time (and probably more like 3/4 of the time).
Alright, just what I needed to know. Thanks :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.