Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have heard of Australians as being human, animal and nature lovers, that they think of nature before every action and are very compassionate, then why all the difficulties for our Students over their?????

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think you are referring to some recent incidents with Indian students.

I am not in Australia right now so I have only read a couple of brief stories on the incidents. I think the majority of Australians are friendly and compassionate people. The problem is with the small minority of people who for whatever reason have problems in their lives and resort to crime and violence.

I don't think there is anywhere that is 100% safe to live in this world. This of course doesn't mean it is excusable for people to commit crime.

There is definitely a need in Melbourne and Sydney to increase security on public transport and around train stations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Mike,
I do agree fully with u that there is hardly any 100 % safe place in the world, but due to small minority group the name of country is blemished and with so many Indian students there in Australia we felt worried. The AUPP university here offers 3 yrs engineering degree from Australia if we complete 1st yr here in India. Some of my near and dear ones too are thinking of joining the course, so we felt all the more concerned.

Thanks for your response, looking forward to good time in your forum.:)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Just to reinforce on what Mike says travelon, though I was down Melbourne way recently just before a reported attack against an Indian student, I have no detailed knowledge as I was travelling last couple of weeks and only caught a bit of media news here and there and though I would say that there are probably a lot of Australians living in cities that have little to do with nature or animals, we are in general terms of a peaceful nature and the majority of the population do not seek violence.

We also have a growing population with somewhere over 200 nations that may be represented here by way of ancestral links and so you have a great mix of people and irrespective of peoples backgrounds there can be violence in many forms but fortunately kept to a very small percentage of the way people go about their lives.
Unfortunately however you do seem to get extreme attitudes manifesting in more populous areas such as Capital cities and Melbourne being only second to Sydney in population.

I would hope that violence in any form is addressed quickly by authorities which it usually is and I have seen that there was a protest by Indians in Melbourne and then Police have been a bit heavy handed in dealing with that, all an unfortunate outworking of peoples anger and frustations but what people in any civilised nation need to understand from that is that taking action yourself can only usually lead to further difficulties.

I further hope that what happened is to be seen for what it hopefully was and that being an isolated situation brought on by some unruly action that was far from representative of that of Australians in general.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.