Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi any help would be greatly appreciated!

Applied for TSS visa 482 29th June, foolishly bought flights to fly out 01/08/18 as initially processing times 11-18 days.
Processing time now stated as 57-64 days.

Does anyone have any experience of entering Australia on Tourist EVisitor visa 651 and awaiting TSS visa 482 being granted whilst in Australia? Is this possible or will I have to enter Australia on the 482 visa that I will be staying on?
I've asked these questions of the Department of home affairs global service centre with no concrete answer. They say they are not sure.
Any help from anyone who has been in this situation or knows anyone who has would be amazing.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi any help would be greatly appreciated!

Applied for TSS visa 482 29th June, foolishly bought flights to fly out 01/08/18 as initially processing times 11-18 days.
Processing time now stated as 57-64 days.

Does anyone have any experience of entering Australia on Tourist EVisitor visa 651 and awaiting TSS visa 482 being granted whilst in Australia? Is this possible or will I have to enter Australia on the 482 visa that I will be staying on?
I've asked these questions of the Department of home affairs global service centre with no concrete answer. They say they are not sure.
Any help from anyone who has been in this situation or knows anyone who has would be amazing.
Many thanks!
I'm not sure of the legalities, but remember that the processing times are just indicative. You could be waiting a lot longer - I've been waiting for 77 days, and someone else on the other thread didn't get a grant until 81 days. It will probably be cheaper to move your flight than to live as a tourist for potentially three months or more. I guess you could buy an onward flight to a nearby country like Indonesia or New Zealand and holiday there until your visa comes through if you don't want to change the flight but aren't sure if you can stay in Australia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Application for 482 when in Australia comes with Briding Visa A

I have been through this (was on an ETA, applied for 482 while in Australia)

This is no longer relevant for the person who originally posted, but for everyone else: No reason to panic.

When you apply for a 482 while in Australia on an ETA you are automatically granted a Bridging Visa A. You should have received a notification about this. Check in the email account you provided immigration with.
Bridging Visa A will NOT go into effect, until the ETA is expired. So for example: You applied for the 482 on July 10th, your ETA is valid until July 25th. In that case your BVA will automatically kick in on July 26th.

Why is this important?
In my case, I needed to travel and the BVA comes with travel restrictions.
So, sticking with the example given, what does that mean?

My ETA was valid until July 25th. I could have left the country before that date ON my ETA, stayed abroad, and then entered with a new ETA. This would then have lasted for another three months and THEN my BVA would have kicked in (think of it like a backup)

You can do that and never actually use your BVA while waiting for the 482 to be processed (leave on an ETA, come back on an ETA, leave before that one expires).

In my case, I needed to leave on July 27th. At this moment, my BVA had become active. In order to leave the country and still comply with the requirements of my application for the 482, I know had to apply for a Bridging Visa B: This is valid for the time I am abroad.
The second I re-entered the country, my Bridging Visa A became active again.

In other words: BVA comes into effect the second your ETA expires. Once on a BVA you CAN NOT change back to an ETA. This is important because of the travel restrictions on the BVA.

Once on a BVA you need a BVB to leave Australia. (And a BVB needs to be payed for, you also need to update your address when out of the country for longer than 7 days). If you plan to travel a lot, it might be a good idea to try and keep an active ETA instead of a BVA.

Also: Whenever the immigration pages talk about "substantive visa" in relation to the 482, the ETA counts as a "substantive visa" (I was confused about that at first and called immigration to clarify)

I am not sure why nobody you called could provide you with this information.
Every time I called them, they were very helpful. And again: I did everything as they told me and had no problems leaving or entering the country (ETA to BVA to BVB, now back on BVA waiting for the 482 to be processed - which takes way longer than initially indicated btw)

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear KJ, i just read your info in aussie forum. I need your help and advise. How do you apply for tss visa. Is it from agent or direct immi online. And u said that u apply tss while on BVA after terminate your eta. My question is are u allowed to work with BVA. How the the process for tss. Thanks. Hope u can reply to me. Thx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.