Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Australian but my twins were born in the USA. They're in Sydney on a tourist visa, where I'm applying for their Citizenship by Descent.

Normally, an immigration applicant shouldn't state that her residential address is inside the country she's applying to live in -- she's not authorized to live there yet. But my babies are 3 months old and don't really have a US address.

Should I put my in-laws' address in the States? Or is it kosher to use our Australian address even though the babies are supposed to be "tourists"?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, I'm Australian but my twins were born in the USA. They're in Sydney on a tourist visa, where I'm applying for their Citizenship by Descent.

Normally, an immigration applicant shouldn't state that her residential address is inside the country she's applying to live in -- she's not authorized to live there yet. But my babies are 3 months old and don't really have a US address.

Should I put my in-laws' address in the States? Or is it kosher to use our Australian address even though the babies are supposed to be "tourists"?
First: Congratulations on your twins! :)

Are you not going back to the US? If you are you could apply offshore...

Reading through the pages about the citizenship I'd say that this application is not like a visa application. It does not allow to travel to or from Australia, it just confirms your "heritage" and can be done wherever you are. There is a section saying "applying outside Australia" - so applying inside is considered normal. And it does not specify if you have to be in- or outside. So I'd use the address that you put as your own residential address.

That's just from re-reading through the pages, I don't know for sure. (We've done it offshore.) Maybe you just call the Sydney office and ask if it's ok to apply and what to put in? :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys,

I am almost in the same situation as Zeffer, I am Australian and my daughter was born in the US and I applied for her Australian Citizenship by descent while in the US and I put an American address back then, now she's in Australia on ETA visa for 3 months ( already 1 month has passed).

When we arrived to Australia, I just changed the address online from the American address to the Australian where we live now.

I applied for her citizenship by descent on 24 September 2017 and still have not received a big update from the DIBP except the acknowledgement letter from the Australian embassy in Washington! saying that the application is with them now and will be processed soon.

Its been exactly 3 months since I applied! She has another 2 months to stay in Australia if her citizenship doesn't get approved.

Have anyone experienced the same before? do you think my daughter will have her citizenship approved in 2 months or less ( considering at that time she will be on 5 months waiting mark)?

Does she have to leave Australia if her citizenship is not approved? can she overstay considering she's an infant ( 4 months old ) and both parents have residency rights in Australia?

Thanks
Humam

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
We would have put our Australian address as we had left Botswana when we applied for their Citizenship by Decent in Australia from Visitor Visas.

As for the 3 month and waiting poster, I would be soon starting to follow up on that application - probably in another 2 weeks. I would not overstay, if required you could I think apply for a 12 month Visitor Visa to stay on shore longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.