Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad credit with Commbank, Optus & Virgin mobile.

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  maklaw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there people,

I have a question. Its a bit funny & tricky but i have high hopes that someone here would be able to answer it. I used to live in australia back in 2013 and then i moved over to India for good. I owed $10k to Commbank and about 2k to optus & virgin all together which i didn't paid as i was broke at that time (which i can pay now as i have enough funds gathered). I dont owe anything to ATO or any to any other govt depts.

Now after a couple of years i feel like coming back to Australia and am planning to put a student visa for my wife and myself as a dependent. The sponsor for my wife are my parents who hold a very good credit history and a strong financial background.

Would having a bad credit on my name affect the visa file which is put up under my wife's name and me as a dependent??

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
as far as i know, its only if you owe the government money or indebted to them.

have you made any effort to pay back the debts?
i left aus in 2013 and had a small debt with commbank but i have been in contact and made monthly payments towards it whilst out of australia.
my case officer didnt mention it but the fact i had addressed it and am actively paying it would stand in my favour

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. No i haven't made any payment towards the debt as i didn't intend to go back but i ll pay it off soon as i can afford it now.
But the main thing i am keen on knowing is that my wife is the main applicant and my parents are her sponsors. So basically i am not playing any significant role in regards to the visa file lodgement apart from being the dependent spouse.

#11 ·
so you had no qualms about borrowing the money but basically 'fu*k them' when it comes to paying it back ? thats a disgusting attitude to have and your actions are one of the many reasons why economies crumble. being honest australia could do without your type
I agree - better you stay in India - we don't need your type here

#5 ·
Just so you know all of these defaults will be on your credit rating. It will be very hard for you to rent a house in Australia through a real estate agent. I use to lease out my house years ago and a real estate agent would find me a tenant and anyone who had a bad credit rating they would say not to go with them.

There are also other places that you will have trouble dealing with, with a bad credit rating.

It won't be easy with a bad credit rating.

#6 ·
Character requirements are fairly open-ended and there is such a thing as "general conduct", which can cover just about anything. I suppose it all depends on the circumstances and context if this would be an issue.

Apart from immigration and moral considerations, you may experience other issues, as Mish has pointed out.

#7 ·
. I owed $10k to Commbank and about 2k to optus & virgin all together which i didn't paid as i was broke at that time (which i can pay now as i have enough funds gathered).
As you say that you can pay it now, why don't you ?

Just get it done, before applying and then you don't need the answers.

No Debt = No problems.

Maybe Immigration should be able to look at a persons credit history. Maybe they do... If so, it could affect the character assessment.

When I had my business, I had people steal from me too, just like that.

#8 ·
When I had my business, I had people steal from me too, just like that.
That's why most migration agents ( the smart ones anyway) require upfront payment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.