Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am an American/Australian citizen and am married to an American/Brazilian citizen. We are hoping to migrate to AU in about 6 months to work and spend time with family. However we have not yet applied for a partner visa for my husband, which since it takes 12-15 months to process, leaves us having to apply within AU. We plan to get him in county initially with an ETA visa and then once we lodge the partner visa we will be applying for a BVA. Sounds simple, but we all know its not :) Although I've done a lot of reading I am still very unclear about SOOO many things...sorry in advance if I post a million questions :)

Nice to meet everyone!!
Jfenn001

·
Registered
10 Posts
I last heard that partner visas are taking about 5-12 months (offshore), assuming you have all your paperwork together...so it might not take as long as you think! We're at the 2 months mark and still hoping to be in Oz for Christmas. Cheers and good luck to you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I last heard that partner visas are taking about 5-12 months (offshore), assuming you have all your paperwork together...so it might not take as long as you think! We're at the 2 months mark and still hoping to be in Oz for Christmas. Cheers and good luck to you!
Hi Mainegirl, I think 5 months for visa is unlikely, even if you submit everything upfront. FBI checks are currently taking 12-16,weeks to process - you might want to apply for that now. We applied in Oct '14, and I figured we'd have an answer by May, but it took 5 months to get initial contact at which time they requested more info. I'm also hoping my husband will be in Oz by Christmas. Welcome, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Mainegirl, I think 5 months for visa is unlikely, even if you submit everything upfront. FBI checks are currently taking 12-16,weeks to process - you might want to apply for that now. We applied in Oct '14, and I figured we'd have an answer by May, but it took 5 months to get initial contact at which time they requested more info. I'm also hoping my husband will be in Oz by Christmas. Welcome, and keep us updated!
I did my FBI check months ago :D The only thing left I have is my health screen. We'll be in Oz for xmas one way or the other, but preferably with visa in hand ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5-12 months!!! That would be amazing! When I called the other day they still told me 12-15 which is also what the website says. Do you think they just say that as worst case scenario or did they actually tell you something different?
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
5-12 months!!! That would be amazing! When I called the other day they still told me 12-15 which is also what the website says. Do you think they just say that as worst case scenario or did they actually tell you something different?
Thanks!
Well, we called our nearest consolate here in the states...maybe it's a different time frame for applying onshore? That's just what we were told by our consolate, and of course they were sure to tell us "Don't quote us on that", but friends of ours were processed in 7 months going through the same processing center, they were also married for as long as we have been with kids, lots of proof of everything all sent in right away, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's awesome if it's true, I was told 12-15 by the office in Canada and in Australia. I better get my stuff together so I'm not the reason it gets delayed :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new here. My Belgian partner and I have just submitted our application in June. If we could get the grant and make it home by Christmas, that would be wonderful!

Maybe I should write a letter to Santa :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.