Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, My name is Megan. My boyfriend and I have been together for four years, and I hope within the next year (or whenever we earn the money) I can move there permanently. I plan on raising around 10,000 dollars and going over on a holiday work visa and then working until the year is up so I can get a spouse/partner visa. I do have a few questions though. Can I switch from one visa to another while there? If I had my name changed at a year old do I have to show documentation of that? Any other tips or info I should know? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Is someone an Australian citizen?

Switch sounds like a fast thing! something Partner Visas are not known for.

Yep you will need many documents for the name change - that will also include police clearances for each name.

Yep read the Partner Migration Booklet and work out what you plan to do before you do anything.

And plan to change your plan above - I think there are better plans than that if one of you are a citizen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is someone an Australian citizen?

Switch sounds like a fast thing! something Partner Visas are not known for.

Yep you will need many documents for the name change - that will also include police clearances for each name.

Yep read the Partner Migration Booklet and work out what you plan to do before you do anything.

And plan to change your plan above - I think there are better plans than that if one of you are a citizen.
My boyfriend is an Australian citizen, so what do you suggest? And I can get the temporary visa while I'm waiting on the permanent visa right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you assessed wether you are eligible to apply for the defacto visa now?
I believe we qualify. We do not live together yet because I haven't raised enough funds to go over on a work visa, but we have been together for 4 years and I have visited him twice and stayed with his family while I was on visitor visas. We have friends and we will eventually have a joint bank account as soon as we can

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The question I was getting at was aimed towards applying nowish and then having the visa to travel at a later date.

If you intend to marry then a 300 would also be an option for you.
I just don't have the money to apply yet. Could you explain the 300 to me and how that would work out?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You've got two of the best in Mania and Ampk giving you advice here. But for my own curiosity, and because I like to help when I can, I think you need to explain your situation a little more, that way the two who are more knowledgeable can fill in the blanks.

Hello, My name is Megan. My boyfriend and I have been together for four years
I will take a page out of Ampk's book. You don't refer to him as your "boyfriend". It's either fiance or partner. In this case, you haven't said you are engaged, so I assume partner will work. Also, in those four years, have you ever lived together or met each other in person?

I plan on raising around 10,000 dollars and going over on a holiday work visa and then working until the year is up so I can get a spouse/partner visa.
Why go that route? It sounds like you just want to get there and be with him, which, obviously is understandable. I think most of us here have been away from our partner for periods of time, so I can sympathize. But as the others suggest, you might want to look into the PMV s/c 300.

I do have a few questions though. Can I switch from one visa to another while there?
I'm not the most informed on this, but I believe you can. Don't quote me on it. But why do that when you can just go the PMV route like Mania suggested? Have a read on the link I put in my above reply.

If I had my name changed at a year old do I have to show documentation of that?
Once you read through the partner migration booklet, a lot of your questions will be answered. Though, you're in the right place on these forums to speak with people who have personally gone through what you're going through.

Any other tips or info I should know?
Yes. Do your homework on this as much as you can. Speak with an RMA if you're able to.

Reactions: ampk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You've got two of the best in Mania and Ampk giving you advice here. But for my own curiosity, and because I like to help when I can, I think you need to explain your situation a little more, that way the two who are more knowledgeable can fill in the blanks.

I will take a page out of Ampk's book. You don't refer to him as your "boyfriend". It's either fiance or partner. In this case, you haven't said you are engaged, so I assume partner will work. Also, in those four years, have you ever lived together or met each other in person?

Why go that route? It sounds like you just want to get there and be with him, which, obviously is understandable. I think most of us here have been away from our partner for periods of time, so I can sympathize. But as the others suggest, you might want to look into the PMV s/c 300.

I'm not the most informed on this, but I believe you can. Don't quote me on it. But why do that when you can just go the PMV route like Mania suggested? Have a read on the link I put in my above reply.

Once you read through the partner migration booklet, a lot of your questions will be answered. Though, you're in the right place on these forums to speak with people who have personally gone through what you're going through.

Yes. Do your homework on this as much as you can. Speak with an RMA if you're able to.
I do not have the amount needed for both the prospect marriage visa and the spouse/partner visa. If I'm correct you have to have 6000 for the first one and 7000 for the second one right? The holiday work visa is 350 to 450. That I can handle (and I know you have to have 5000 for funds and insurance on arrival) it's just easier this way. I might be wrong though

·
Registered
814 Posts
I do not have the amount needed for both the prospect marriage visa and the spouse/partner visa. If I'm correct you have to have 6000 for the first one and 7000 for the second one right? The holiday work visa is 350 to 450. That I can handle (and I know you have to have 5000 for funds and insurance on arrival) it's just easier this way. I might be wrong though
It's not 6000 for PMV and 7000 for the 820/801. It's 7000 for the PMV and 1180 (or something like that) when applying for 820/801 following on from PMV.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Can you source this information for me? Sorry I just wanted to be absolutely sure
Google is your friend.

But here:
Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) (scroll down to Cost)

Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801) (scroll down to Cost)

Can I work on the prospective marriage visa?
Yes.

What you can do:

This visa lets you:
- travel to and stay in Australia for up to nine months
- work in Australia
- study in Australia at your own expense
- travel outside Australia as many times as you want. There is important information for New Zealand citizens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.