Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa which expires mid September 2018. My partner is here on a Student Visa (574) which expires in September 2019.

Next to her studies, my partner will be working as a lecturer at university until the end of November 2018 - about two and a half a month after the expiry of my visa. We're looking into opportunities for me to extend my stay here until that moment, but having a hard time choosing what would be the best thing to do here.

What we've thought of so far:

- Subsequent entrant on Student Visa: this would require adding me as a subsequent entrant to my partner's Student Visa as her de facto partner. I was not listed as her partner on the original application, so my understanding is we would need to lodge a new application with all the supporting documents (income, de facto relationship evidence, etc.).

- My own Student Visa: this would require me to enrol in any short course and obtain my own student visa for that period. I have no evidence of English language proficiency, so would need to take an IELTS test as well.

- Tourist/Visitor visa: this would require me to leave Australia, apply for the 3-month visitor visa from overseas and attempt reentry. I've heard discouraging stories about trying to 'extend' a Working Holiday visa with a Tourist visa though, and would prefer not to run the risk of being denied entry.

- Second Year Working Holiday extension: this is not an option, since I'm 32 and not eligible for this anymore.

If I understood correctly, an advantage of the first two options is that I could obtain a Bridging Visa A while waiting for any decisions, which will come into effect the moment my current visa expires. An application close to the expiry date of my current WH visa thus seems to make sense to make maximum use of the Bridging Visa, regardless of any decisions made? Or am I wrong here?

Since the extra time we're looking at is just 2.5 months, we're looking for the most practical and cost-effective solution to accomplish this. At the end of November 2018, our plan is to leave Australia and return back home. My partner will have finished her degree by then. We have no intention of staying here for longer than that.

I'd highly appreciate any recommendations you may have with regard to what to do here :)

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
You can apply for a tourist visa onshore as well, but it is unlikely to be granted straight after a WHV.

A short 3 month course may be your best option. Just do a read-up on Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements first. Not all courses require IELTS.

Onshore student visa applications can take a while to process, plus you usually get 35 days to leave if it is refused. That could get you over the line if you time it well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You can apply for a tourist visa onshore as well, but it is unlikely to be granted straight after a WHV.

A short 3 month course may be your best option. Just do a read-up on Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements first. Not all courses require IELTS.

Onshore student visa applications can take a while to process, plus you usually get 35 days to leave if it is refused. That could get you over the line if you time it well.
Thanks for your reply CCMS, much appreciated. I won't go for the tourist visa then.

I looked around online for some courses and see that most university-level courses can get relatively expensive - up to $2000-$3000 for one subject, for example. Apart from language courses and universities, do you know which other (types of) institutions offer courses which are compatible with a student visa?

About the timing, would it be best to lodge the application for the student visa as close to the expiry date of my WHV as possible, to benefit from the Bridging Visa? Similarly, would this also hold if we would try and add me as a subsequent entrant to my partner's student visa?

Many thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.