Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum so please excuse me if this has been addressed or if I am in the wrong place.

Here is some background that will hopefully help to answer my questions:
I am a US citizen and have lived here my entire life (23 yr). I am finishing my final year at a University (Virginia Tech) and will have a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering as well as one in Chemistry. I would like to come to Australia to work ASAP once I graduate (May 2012). I have a limited amount of professional work experience (4 months).

After having done some research, I will be eligible to apply for the 476 visa upon graduation. This seems like the best option except I have heard that it takes quite a while to process this visa (7-12 months?). Does anybody have any experience with this?

I also looked into the Working Holiday Visa, which seems to be easier and quicker to lodge and process. But, if I recall correctly, a restriction is only being able to be employed by a particular employer for a maximum of 6 months. If I'm able to find an engineering position that would allow me to work there indefinitely, could I apply for permanent residency?

My third option that I have been researching is to seek employment before lodging an application, and hopefully obtain an employer or other type or sponsored visa. However, with my minimal experience and living in the State, it's a bit difficult seeking jobs in Australia. I know a little of Centrelink but am not very familiar with how it works in regards to jobs. Are there any better options that would ease this type of visa process?

It seems that if I was able to find employment, my visa would likely granted and I would not need to worry about permanent residency (since the sponsored visor should cover this). The 476 visa would likely be the next best option as it would leave me 18 months to find employment and once I do, I could apply for permanent residency. However, this method is said to take a long time. Finally, the WHV is the last resort. It could be obtained quickly, but might there be restrictions as far as working goes? Not to mention it would only be valid for one year...

I will do as much research as I can and will update this thread with any news or info I get. Please feel free to contact me, the more help the better! Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Cheers

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.