Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I'm looking to apply for partner visa in the near future and weighing up my options now. A little background: myself (Canadian, living in Canada) and my partner (Aussie, currently living with me in Canada on a 2 year work permit - expires in Aug 2018).

Would it be possible to apply for the subclass 309 or does he need to be in Australia? It seems processing times for this are much quicker than the 820 so it would be in our interest to apply 309 if we can.

Also - we were thinking of waiting until May 2018 to apply as we will have been de facto relationship for 3 years at that point, and can hopefully get PR immediately...is that a good idea? ie. do you think that it would be worthwhile waiting the few extra months to make life a bit easier?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi there - I'm looking to apply for partner visa in the near future and weighing up my options now. A little background: myself (Canadian, living in Canada) and my partner (Aussie, currently living with me in Canada on a 2 year work permit - expires in Aug 2018).
Would it be possible to apply for the subclass 309 or does he need to be in Australia?
Yes it's possible, no he doesn't need to be in Australia (assuming he is an Aus citizen).

Also - we were thinking of waiting until May 2018 to apply as we will have been de facto relationship for 3 years at that point, and can hopefully get PR immediately...is that a good idea?
Yes.

ie. do you think that it would be worthwhile waiting the few extra months to make life a bit easier?
Absolutely! Especially with the way the second stage 100 processing times seem to have stretched out into oblivion (at the moment 75% within 19 months, 90% within 32 months) - if you can wait until you qualify for 100 it'll save you a whole lot of time and hassle later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's possible, no he doesn't need to be in Australia (assuming he is an Aus citizen).

Yes.

Absolutely! Especially with the way the second stage 100 processing times seem to have stretched out into oblivion (at the moment 75% within 19 months, 90% within 32 months) - if you can wait until you qualify for 100 it'll save you a whole lot of time and hassle later.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. We will just hold off then. :)

In terms of qualifying for 100- our earliest evidence of our relationship (dating back 3 years) would just be text messages and photos, does this suffice in proving that we have been together for 3 years? Obviously we have a lot more solid evidence in the last year and a bit (lease agreement, joint bank account, insurance etc) but I'm thinking strictly in terms of getting the 100 to prove the 3 year de facto relationship. Or are they looking for something like a registered relationship dating back 3 years?

·
Registered
814 Posts
You would have to have evidence of defacto relationship going back three years in order to qualify for going to 100 inmediately after 309 grant. Photos and text messages sounds like evidence of dating - and dating does not count as defacto. Defacto evidence is evidence that you have combined your lives together - so things like leases, mortgage, shared finances, etc. So you would have to have this type of evidence dating back three years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks again! Looks like we wouldn't qualify immediately for the 100 for quite some time then... may end up just submitting the 309 application sooner in that case. Thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.