Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My name is Caroline and I am a French expat. I moved to Australia in 2013 and lived and worked there on 2 successive WHV, then moved to a study visa in which I meant my Australian partner. We moved together to be able to do a de facto 820 visa but my circumstance changed and we decided to leave Aus and go to NZ.
We have been in NZ for more than a year now and together for about 2 and a half years.
We both really want to go back to AUS asap at this stage, and are struggling to figure out our best option.
820/801 and 309/100 are two parter visa, and the time of process is roughly 14 months let's say. But is the process time applying to the first part of second part?
So let's say I apply tomorrow, will I get the 820/309 automatically as the bridging visa or will the time wait be 14 months for this temporary one to be given, and then another 2 years for permanent?

From what I remember reading and logically so, the waiting time would apply to get the temporary one. If i was in a tourist visa in Australia tomorrow and would apply for a 820, I then would get an automatic bridging visa after my tourist one, which would have the same rights as the tourist one by defaults (no work but allowed to stay) but then would have to wait 14 months to get the 820 without being able to work, which is out of the question.

So then there would be the 309. We would apply from NZ but would have to wait 14 months or so to get this said 309, but we would like to avoid waiting that long. If we had to wait we would prefer to opt for a de facto relationship here as it is way cheaper and we could wait around the same amount of time for me to become resident and from then citizen and able to go back.

My main questions regards the Prospecive marriage visa. It sounds like the best way to be able to go back fast and being able to work in Australia.
If I was to apply for PMV, we would have to pay a first fee or around 7000, and then how much time would we have before getting married? Also, could I work on a PMV?
Once married, I think we have to pay an extra 1000$ for getting the official visa, but which visa would that be? Can I work on it? And will it also be reviewed 2 years later for permanent residency or does it gives me automatic permanent residency?

Thank you for your help.
I have been really suffering from having to leave Australia and wouldn't want to wait another 2/3 years before being able to go back.
About that; I also read that if you have been with someone long enough, you can get an automatic 801/100 visa. How long does that requires? Aware 2,5 years isn't enough, but just to get an idea if we decide to wait for a few years!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
First of all, there is no way to predict how long you'll actually wait for any partner visa so planning around a timeframe is useless. We've seen offshore and onshores granted in under 2 months and some that take close to 2 years (sometimes onshores take longer than that).

Second, a BVA that comes with a partner visa application does come with full work rights but the BVA wouldn't go into effect until your current visa ends while you're onshore. So if your 12 month tourist visa has 3 month stay periods, the BVA would go into effect after you've stayed over that 3 month stay period (leaving Australia and coming back resets the stay period and further delays the BVA going into effect).

PMV isn't necessarily faster and isn't recommended for anyone that already meets de facto requirements for either the 309 of 820 as you're just adding more wait time and higher cost. If you qualify de facto, go de facto. PMV is adding an extra step.

3 years de facto/married or 2 years if you have a child of the relationship and the 2 year waiting period between a 309/100 or 820/801 app and PR eligibility may be waived. Time dating doesn't count towards that. You still wait the regular wait time for visa processing and you still make the exact same application, but the CO decides to grant you both the TR and PR at the same time if they deem you qualify.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.