Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So my partner and I are planing to get married later this year/into a registered partnership here in Switzerland which is the equivalent of a defacto in Australia. Now my question is if our union here in Switzerland is going to be recognized in Australia as well. Do we have to do anything special? In case we decide to move down under anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,099 Posts
Hi guys,

So my partner and I are planing to get married later this year/into a registered partnership here in Switzerland which is the equivalent of a defacto in Australia. Now my question is if our union here in Switzerland is going to be recognized in Australia as well. Do we have to do anything special? In case we decide to move down under anytime soon.
Hi
Are either of you an Australian Citizen? If so the Australian Government only recognizes overseas marriages that would be legally recognized in Australia, so unfortunately it would not be recognized. If you are not Australians I don't know. On the bright side they do recognize genuine same sex relationships so it should not be a problem in applying for a partner visa.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Are either of you an Australian Citizen? If so the Australian Government only recognizes overseas marriages that would be legally recognized in Australia, so unfortunately it would not be recognized. If you are not Australians I don't have know. On the bright side they do recognize genuine same sex relationships so it should not be a problem in applying for a partner visa.
Good luck
Hey thanks for your reply.

Yes my partner is Australian.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.