Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Am just wondering whether all those people that have arrived under the banner of "Asylum seekers" have any significant effect on the processing of our visas?:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone, Am just wondering whether all those people that have arrived under the banner of "Asylum seekers" have any significant effect on the processing of our visas?:)
but you are from zambia. and you yourself have to come by boat to Australia as an Asylum seeker. Why are you complaining about Asylum seekers?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Samfisher Let me educate you !!!!!!!!!!...Zambia has NEVER NEVER had any civil war or conflict ever since we kicked out the colonial government therefore there is no Zambian here or abroad that has traveled to any country as an "Asylum seeker" (go and look up the definition of asylum seeker.) Myself included i came here via the proper channel.
Secondly, I was not "COMPLAINING" but trying to find out what ,if any the effects of people coming in through other illegal means.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
To my knowledge yes it will affect the processing times for our visas. Asylum seekers get first priority and that is also for the ASIO checks too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Samfisher Let me educate you !!!!!!!!!!...Zambia has NEVER NEVER had any civil war or conflict ever since we kicked out the colonial government therefore there is no Zambian here or abroad that has traveled to any country as an "Asylum seeker" (go and look up the definition of asylum seeker.) Myself included i came here via the proper channel.
Secondly, I was not "COMPLAINING" but trying to find out what ,if any the effects of people coming in through other illegal means.
To my knowledge yes it will affect the processing times for our visas. Asylum seekers get first priority and that is also for the ASIO checks too.
so there are thousands of Asylum seekers. They all get priority over the visa applications lodged in the Australian embassies in Australia and overseas?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I don't particularly like the term "boat people," either. =\

Honestly, yes, I do think they should take priority. My physical safety is not threatened on a daily basis because of war in my country or because I am of a religion or a sexual orientation my government doesn't agree with. I absolutely feel people who cannot live their lives in relative physical safety on a daily basis should take priority.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Everyone for using that word, But i was just trying to find something to attract readers on the forum ......I Apologize !

And thanks to all your replies

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry Everyone for using that word, But i was just trying to find something to attract readers on the forum ......I Apologize !

And thanks to all your replies
Attract readers to the forum by using emotive words such as "boat people".

I see that you have become a true blue aussie and assimilated well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't particularly like the term "boat people," either. =\

Honestly, yes, I do think they should take priority. My physical safety is not threatened on a daily basis because of war in my country or because I am of a religion or a sexual orientation my government doesn't agree with. I absolutely feel people who cannot live their lives in relative physical safety on a daily basis should take priority.
I disagree. Don't get me wrong I agree that the safety and wellbeing of these people is imparative and i'm proud that Australia is a place where these people take refuge, but the people arriving by boats are being conned and not going about immigrating or asylum seeking in the correct manner. It's people smuggling and they pay a ridiculous amount to smugglers promising fields of gold on the other side. I'm sorry but most of them don't get priority (nor do I believe they should). It takes years for people who arrive that need to be detained to be processed. I dont like the treatment thats been reported in relation to the detention centres, but arriving in this manner must be stopped.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
When people's physical safety isn't in danger, I agree with you.

But when it is? If there's gunfire outside your door and there's nowhere safe to go, are you going to wait around for months hoping another country will take you in or do what it takes to save your own life and the lives of your children? I don't know... I just think it's not black and white.

·
Registered
531 Posts

But when it is? If there's gunfire outside your door and there's nowhere safe to go, are you going to wait around for months hoping another country will take you in or do what it takes to save your own life and the lives of your children? I don't know... I just think it's not black and white.
Sure you're right it's not black and white but people smuggling is becoming a dangerous industry. These people are being tricked and Australia is not currently properly equipt to handle all the boats arriving. I am totally against people arriving by boat and hope that in the future there is a better/different way for refugees to find a safe home.

Its such a risk for everyone including those who get on the boat. After your read about a few of the boats that sink with all the people and children on board dying - and then you think of the greedy smugglers that capitalised on their dire situations for financial gain its just a sick sad process. Then theres the risk to Australia that people may make it to shore successfully. Even though these are people facing hardships they havent gone through the character assessments we have to go through. It could only take one person who could bring a new health or safety threat to Australia. This is where I want my children to grow up, I can't be supportive of this method of asylum.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Many asylum seekers actually fly to Indonesia and pay a large amount of money to get on a boat from there to travel to Australia. I don't believe someone would take a boat all the way from Afghanistan (landlocked) or Iran to Australia.

It is more of an issue of people trafficking than an issue of asylum seeker, IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CollegeGirl said:

I agree with you collegegirl.
My mother and I came to Australia on a humanitarian visa 17 years ago. We were in a safe country (Turkey) waiting for our visa to be issued (8 months) - but if we were in Iraq we would have hopped on a boat in a flash. Like collegegirl said its not all black and white and I'm not bothered if refugees or asylum seekers are processed before my husband. But I guess my opinion is skewed due to the fact that I have seen the 'other side'

·
Registered
531 Posts
Many asylum seekers actually fly to Indonesia and pay a large amount of money to get on a boat from there to travel to Australia. I don't believe someone would take a boat all the way from Afghanistan (landlocked) or Iran to Australia.

It is more of an issue of people trafficking than an issue of asylum seeker, IMO.
Spot on. People smuggling is the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
So let's blame the smugglers and stop THEM, not blame the people seeking refuge from violence...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.