Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
I wasn't speaking about what you'd said kamarees. I think you've been pretty thoughtful and careful not to place the blame where it doesn't belong. But I do think there's a lot of anti-immigrant bias in Australia right now and a lot of it gets taken out on these desperate people who want nothing more than to live somewhere where they're not in fear for their lives.

Reactions: Adventuress

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wasn't speaking about what you'd said kamarees. I think you've been pretty thoughtful and careful not to place the blame where it doesn't belong. But I do think there's a lot of anti-immigrant bias in Australia right now and a lot of it gets taken out on these desperate people who want nothing more than to live somewhere where they're not in fear for their lives.
That is very true and alot of it lies in the way our media presents the information. There is a general lack of understanding across the board and until people understand immigration as a whole rather than viewing these people as queue jumpers, the attitude won't change!

I just really feel by making arriving on boats easy and acceptable it encourages this terrible industry of smuggling. I wish there was a better way for people to seek refuge here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I disagree. Don't get me wrong I agree that the safety and wellbeing of these people is imparative and i'm proud that Australia is a place where these people take refuge, but the people arriving by boats are being conned and not going about immigrating or asylum seeking in the correct manner. It's people smuggling and they pay a ridiculous amount to smugglers promising fields of gold on the other side. I'm sorry but most of them don't get priority (nor do I believe they should). It takes years for people who arrive that need to be detained to be processed. I dont like the treatment thats been reported in relation to the detention centres, but arriving in this manner must be stopped.
Spot on kamarees :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
To me they are not boat people or asylum seekers they are plain illegal immigrants. The majority of hem this week are from Vietnam
A very ignorant and incorrect statement. How are they illegal? Claiming asylum in Australia is not illegal, no matter how you arrive in Australia. The majority from Vietnam? Really? Where did you read this? Way off the mark. Maybe about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A very ignorant and incorrect statement. How are they illegal? Claiming asylum in Australia is not illegal, no matter how you arrive in Australia. The majority from Vietnam? Really? Where did you read this? Way off the mark. Maybe about 30 years ago.
You need to catch up with the news. Not ignorant is fact

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need to catch up with the news. Not ignorant is fact
Vietnamese asylum boats at 20-year high
BY:NICOLAS PERPITCH From: The Australian July 16, 2013 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
THE 84 Vietnamese asylum-seekers on a vessel stopped just north of Broome this week are part of the largest influx of people arriving from the communist country by boat in almost two decades

On current trends, this year will see the greatest number of Vietnamese boat arrivals on record; surpassing the 868 asylum-seekers who arrived in 1977, two years after the fall of the South Vietnamese regime.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Vietnamese asylum boats at 20-year high
BY:NICOLAS PERPITCH From: The Australian July 16, 2013 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
THE 84 Vietnamese asylum-seekers on a vessel stopped just north of Broome this week are part of the largest influx of people arriving from the communist country by boat in almost two decades

On current trends, this year will see the greatest number of Vietnamese boat arrivals on record; surpassing the 868 asylum-seekers who arrived in 1977, two years after the fall of the South Vietnamese regime.
Off the mark !,

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see you wouldn't like to refute your initial comment about illegal immigrants?

What does it even matter where they are from? Do you dislike some people differently compared to where they are from?

Sorry, I mis-read you statement... sure, maybe THIS week the majority are from Vietnam. But what is your point by stating this.

I apologise for my abruptness, but I despise the ever increasing ignorance and intolerance that is being developed and fostered in our society by the media, politicians and other people on immigration.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see you wouldn't like to refute your initial comment about illegal immigrants?

What does it even matter where they are from? Do you dislike some people differently compared to where they are from?

Sorry, I mis-read you statement... sure, maybe THIS week the majority are from Vietnam. But what is your point by stating this.

I apologise for my abruptness, but I despise the ever increasing ignorance and intolerance that is being developed and fostered in our society by the media, politicians and other people on immigration.
If they want to co here I have no issue but do it the right way. They have the money to pay the smugglers so they have the money to apply like everyone else. They are doing it illegally

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a client who works at diac and he flies back and forth from Brisbane to Christmas Island so I have heard the inside story straight from the horses mouth. Although there is always a certain percentage of genuine refugees amongst these people who arrive In our waters by boat the majority are not. And I resent the hell out of every single one of these queue jumping passport throwing away illegal immigrants who are slowing down my processing times and my security checks. The truth is the majority of these people have paid 10k each to get on the boat rather than wait for years in the queue or who have no hope of getting in the queue as they have no skills. I've lived in Malaysia and Cambodia and worked for free at NGOs for years so don't accuse me of having no sympathy for the genuine refugees. I know plenty f people who have jumped on the boat from Malaysia and not one of them were genuine they freely admitted they simply wanted a better life and didn't want to wait for normal processing times. I could have paid 10k myself for my man and he could have been here years ago but we chose to do the right thing. The more boats they let stay the more that will come. It's time to take a hard line with the fakes and make it easier for genuine refugees to be processed in a legal manner. There lies the real problem. It's simply too hard to do it genuinely so just jump on a boat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My mothers partners daughter is a case worker for asylum seekers on Christmas Island. She told me many (of course not all) of the asylum seekers actually are quite well off but heard by word if mouth of the benefits Australians receive without working and how easy it is to get into Australia as a 'refugee.' She told me they often go on 'hunger strikes' and destroy things in the camp to have their demands met and seem to know very well what they could be entitled too should they succeed.
Now, I know there are absolutely genuine refugees and they need our help. I'm proud were in a position to help them and I think it's a great thing but many people who are not genuine are being smuggled in and they are not 'refugees'. I think it's sad for the real refugees. Like Kamarees said more than anything the people smugglers are the problem....the people they bring have to pay large sums of money to get aboard their boat an many of them are quite well off. It offends me that they come to our country, dictate to us about how fast they will be processed and what they will receive if they succeeded. These people are making it so much harder for truly desperate people and are taking advantage of australian tax payers. Not only is that an issue but also the extremely dangerous trip that I think many of the people buying places on boats are unaware of. In my opinion, people smugglers should be held accountable for this and face heavy charges.
Its not fair that some people 'jump the line' because they don't want to wait or think they will receive more benefits under a humanitarian visa. I think more work needs to be done to stop people arriving on boats and start getting people to apply the right way.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If one can afford to leave their original country and then subsequently pay a handsome amount to be on board a boat to come into Australian water, I think they are just taking the shortcut.

I know the situation in their home country is very hostile and challenging, but that doesn't mean they can jump the queue by doing this. It is also unfair to their own people that are unable to leave the country due to lack of resources. I think those left behind have a stronger case as in seeking refuge than those that came in in boats.

And, please tell me, does it mean if someone came in boat, they are automatically refugee? If this is the case and become a norm, then we might see more boats coming in, which means, more tragedy (e.g. boat sinking in high sea, riot in the detention centre etc) waiting to happen. Do you still think it is a good idea?

It is actually a lose-lose situation for everyone, except the people smugglers that are laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a client who works at diac and he flies back and forth from Brisbane to Christmas Island so I have heard the inside story straight from the horses mouth. Although there is always a certain percentage of genuine refugees amongst these people who arrive In our waters by boat the majority are not. And I resent the hell out of every single one of these queue jumping passport throwing away illegal immigrants who are slowing down my processing times and my security checks. The truth is the majority of these people have paid 10k each to get on the boat rather than wait for years in the queue or who have no hope of getting in the queue as they have no skills. I've lived in Malaysia and Cambodia and worked for free at NGOs for years so don't accuse me of having no sympathy for the genuine refugees. I know plenty f people who have jumped on the boat from Malaysia and not one of them were genuine they freely admitted they simply wanted a better life and didn't want to wait for normal processing times. I could have paid 10k myself for my man and he could have been here years ago but we chose to do the right thing. The more boats they let stay the more that will come. It's time to take a hard line with the fakes and make it easier for genuine refugees to be processed in a legal manner. There lies the real problem. It's simply too hard to do it genuinely so just jump on a boat.
Chicken 999 I love u

·
Registered
44 Posts
If they want to co here I have no issue but do it the right way. They have the money to pay the smugglers so they have the money to apply like everyone else. They are doing it illegally
persecution has no relation to how much money you have. you can be rich but part of a group that a large number of people in your country, maybe even your government, want to arrest or kill based on your demographic. if they have more money that in fact suggests they are less likely to be economic migrants. many asylum seekers resort people smugglers because they are threatened with violence in their home country and would be killed or thrown in prison for their beliefs if they took the time to send in an application that would take at least 6 months and possibly well over a year.

people smuggling is a bad thing, but to stop it there needs to be a way for people to apply for asylum without the fear of being killed or jailed during the waiting time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am always amazed at the number of people who 'know someone' who is on the inside of these immigration detention centers who always aver that 90% of them are economic refugees but that when you look at the final figures after all the proper processing procedures have been done you find that actually 90% of those presenting are given refugee status.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am always amazed at the number of people who 'know someone' who is on the inside of these immigration detention centers who always aver that 90% of them are economic refugees but that when you look at the final figures after all the proper processing procedures have been done you find that actually 90% of those presenting are given refugee status.
Are you trying to imply I'm a liar?

I'm only writing what I was honestly told. I don't believe they are all 'economic refugees'....if you read my comment above, I believe the people smugglers are the main issue and that they are making things harder for refugees. They are not interested in your welfare, they simply make promises of a better life and leave out the great risk to people's lives in order to make money. This is the problem.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.