Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What I cant understand is Why is Indonesia not doing anything to stop the boats flow.

Its increasingly getting dangerous and there are hotspots where these boats leave from.
Is it a lot of work or even a little bit to get officials to monitor and STOP the boats at the shores itself!?

Its so increasingly evident that travelling on the boats are costing lives and coupling this with the people smuggling business and economic migrants ,, why in the world is Indonesia letting people leave their shores .
Its obvious that there is ONLY 1 destination the boats are heading to - Christmas island.

Man,, The governments operate in weird ways for sure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very simple.....they have brains and in no way want to destabilize their own country into a hotbed of religious intolerance like so many of their fellow Radical Middle East countries.....Just pass it on to Australia...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very simple.....they have brains and in no way want to destabilize their own country into a hotbed of religious intolerance like so many of their fellow Radical Middle East countries.....Just pass it on to Australia...
Maybe it's the foreign policies of the USA, UK and their lapdog Australia that create division in these middle eastern countries.

If you poke your nose into a bee hive, you'll get more than a little bit of honey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read every post here and I respect every opinion but I must have my say.
Boat people, asylem seekers or what ever you call them, they cost Australian Goverment and Australian tax payers a lot of money. In simple words, why should I pay money (my tax money) for these people, why should I pay for their stay and well being, medicare, wellfare and so on. I know that many people won't agree with me but I love my Sydney, my Australia and I am very upset to see the areas of Auburn, Blacktown, Liverpoool and surronding areas full of these people. I feel for my security and might as well say I'm frightened of the groups of 20-30 men from Nigeria, Chad, Sudan standing and doing nothing at Auburn train station and other stations, and the worst case is I'm paying for them. (Haven't seen any of them trying to put out bushfires through out NSW).
By the way my wife is waiting for her partner visa, applied offshore and no wonder why the waiting period is so long, Australia first takes care of boat people and then down the que, hard working and educated people like my wife and many other people from Europe wanting to enter Australia.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've read every post here and I respect every opinion but I must have my say.
Boat people, asylem seekers or what ever you call them, they cost Australian Goverment and Australian tax payers a lot of money. In simple words, why should I pay money (my tax money) for these people, why should I pay for their stay and well being, medicare, wellfare and so on. I know that many people won't agree with me but I love my Sydney, my Australia and I am very upset to see the areas of Auburn, Blacktown, Liverpoool and surronding areas full of these people. I feel for my security and might as well say I'm frightened of the groups of 20-30 men from Nigeria, Chad, Sudan standing and doing nothing at Auburn train station and other stations, and the worst case is I'm paying for them. (Haven't seen any of them trying to put out bushfires through out NSW).
By the way my wife is waiting for her partner visa, applied offshore and no wonder why the waiting period is so long, Australia first takes care of boat people and then down the que, hard working and educated people like my wife and many other people from Europe wanting to enter Australia.
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). It's frustrating that we've gone through the correct channels to get our partners over here, yet these "boat people" as they are called seem to be jumping the queue.

I don't know what the solution is. Who knows why these people risk their lives to jump on dodgy boats to come over here. If the government were serious, they'd process them quicker and send the suspiscious ones back.

There is no easy solution.

But I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot over how much the government spend on these people. I'm more concerned about how much money our government spend on bombing peace and democracy into other countries.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I know this thread has evolved but I only read the first few and last few pages and wanted to give my two cents.

People smuggling and trafficking in any way, shape or form must be stopped. I am talking about these boats as much as I am about full on human sex work trafficking. It's a monstrous world that takes terrible advantage of all weaknesses it finds around it. I agree a different solution should be found.

I personally believe that the refugee issue is a global problem, meaning it should be everyone's problem equally, and it should be regulated as such. From my point of view, with history in mind, I do not believe we can progress unless we accept displacement and migration as part of our species. It's a constant. Unfortunately in the 18th and 19th centuries nationalism sneaked in to a degree that prevents us from looking at it that way.

I am a firm believer in that very few people truly want to leave their home country without serious cause. Surely there are the occasional people who do it for riches, but I personally have a hard time imagining what that would feel like. I dreamed of studying in the UK my whole life, but once I met my partner and we started planning for me to move to him in Australia, I realized I would have never left otherwise. I don't think many people can or want to. I wish non-migrants would understand that. How hard it is, for most, to leave their home.

I don't mind waiting for refugees to be processed first. Not at all. Good gods, my own grandfathers were driven from their homes by war - my father's father was driven out of Poland by the Nazis, my mother's father was taken from Indonesia to The Netherlands by a Dutch soldier during colonial conflict there. I have no right to not sympathize, I just don't. My grandfathers have made me who I am today and I cannot imagine, not in a million years, what it must have been like for them to be driven from their homes, unable to go back. I have no issue with refugees. I do have an issue with smugglers.

I don't think being stricter about the boats is wrong. I believe the attitude around it, however, is generally misled. It should be an act of sympathy and care for humanity, not an act of intolerance. And many people support the more extreme measures out of intolerance. That grieves me. We're all on this planet and none of us have only local forefathers. Humans have migrated and fled since the beginning of time. We shouldn't be focusing on refugees, we should be focusing on scammers - in any branch of the migration system (from smugglers to fake couples to anything else).

·
Registered
19 Posts
They showed some of this asylum seekers yesterday on the news behind the wire at the detention center, what a pack of useless beings , here for the centrelink only as the dept of immigrations own website shows, barely literate, barely human, the woman folk bandaged up like mummies, the whole pack of them looked completely unemployable, not that any of them came here to work anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Mmmmmmkay. Thanks, Nelly, for the heartfelt post. Unfortunately, this thread continuously degenerates into borderline (and not so borderline) racist comments, so... more harm than good here, I'm afraid. Closing the thread.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.