Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

On the document checklist for the Tourist visa, it says "If you are visiting under the Tourist stream: Your itinerary for your stay in Australia." The word itinerary is open to interpretation. Does it mean an excel file with "day 1: beach, day 2: Uluru" or does it mean flight itinerary inbound and outbound? The applicant will be spending the time with me at my home and we will do some local travel together which is yet to be decided. It seems incredibly risky to book flights before being granted a visa. Sure I can book refundable flights but they are twice the price.

Also a lot of the supporting documents refers to "home country". Again this is open to interpretation, does it mean where the applicant currently has residency or does it mean country on their passport?

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,099 Posts
It can be confusing as they also state somewhere never to book any flights until your visa is granted!
You are correct in assuming they are referring to your itinerary while you are in Australia, Where you will visit, who you will visit etc.
As far as your home country goes they are looking for a genuine reason for you to leave at the end of your stay, things such as secure,stable, well paying employment, property and balance of family as usually looked on favourably.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for quick response, i'll hold off on booking flights. Although I'd be interested to see the section on the website where they say not to book flights, because in my googling for answers I see people asking about whether they need to have an exit flight booked. It's all quite unclear. I know for my previous visa's to certain Eastern European countries I needed proof of flights.

The applicant is a citizen of a rather poor Eastern European country that is definitely on the high risk list. However she now lives (resident) and works in a very rich western european country. It's stable, high paid employment so I'm hoping this job will get her over the line in terms of incentive to return home.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
It is written not to book flights until visa is approved - we had to leave a kid behind in Ukraine to get Visitor Visas on the 3rd attempt. That return fair was lost.

Do a search on this forum "PAM 3" and around page 3/4 there is a thread PAM 3 old and out of date. That is IMMI's policy on Visitor Visa's, that will give you a few clues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I had a read of your thread about PAM. Very interesting material, I'll keep it in mind when applying. Sorry to hear about situation with your kid, hope it all worked out in the end.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Thanks, I had a read of your thread about PAM. Very interesting material, I'll keep it in mind when applying. Sorry to hear about situation with your kid, hope it all worked out in the end.
Lets just say things did not work out as planned, but I have lots of experiences in many processes and now know some good lawyers - when last resorts are required.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I applied for a Visitor Visa Tourist Stream for 3 months last Dec 7, 2017 and I was granted with 1 year visa, multiple entry, in just 5 days. The checklist is really confusing. Before I applied, I'm not sure if the documents I will submit is correct. But this is what I did. Obviously this is not included in the checklist but I made a cover letter, I just stated the date when I wish to visit and leave Australia, who I will visit, where I am staying, and what will I do during my stay (I wrote that I am attending the bday of my partner and that I wish to visit some of the tourist wonders in Australia, just mention atleast 5 places, and that you want to experience their festival, if any.) You dont have to write a day to day activities and also I did not book any tickets. In my intention to return, I made a hand written letter stating that I am returning to my home country because of family commitment, that I have children not travelling with me. To support this letter, I submitted my children's birth certificates, copy of school ID's, certificate of enrolment at their school, and my insurance showing their names as dependents, just to show I have strong ties.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, you may attach any documents that you feel is related to your application because they may decide on your submitted documents without contacting you. That was their email to me after I paid for my application.

BTW I don't have any properties, assets, etc. I just said family commitment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow 5 day turn around. Sounds like you had a solid case. We're organising the relevant paperwork now and hope to apply in the coming days.

Following this visit I'm intending on applying for a working holiday visa in her country of residence. Should I mention this in my invite?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow 5 day turn around. Sounds like you had a solid case. We're organising the relevant paperwork now and hope to apply in the coming days.

Following this visit I'm intending on applying for a working holiday visa in her country of residence. Should I mention this in my invite?
I think it was fast because I am travelling with my 3 year old son, AU citizen. No interviews at all, they did not even require me health requirements. And also I read somewhere in the internet, that if you wish to be granted with a visa, any statements you make, you should be ready with a document to support it.

anyway, I'm not much aware about other visas. In the invitation letter we just showed that it will be just family visit and tourism. because I think if you mention other visas in your application it may confuse them on what really is your purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok thanks for quick response, i'll hold off on booking flights. Although I'd be interested to see the section on the website where they say not to book flights, because in my googling for answers I see people asking about whether they need to have an exit flight booked. It's all quite unclear. I know for my previous visa's to certain Eastern European countries I needed proof of flights.

The applicant is a citizen of a rather poor Eastern European country that is definitely on the high risk list. However she now lives (resident) and works in a very rich western european country. It's stable, high paid employment so I'm hoping this job will get her over the line in terms of incentive to return home.
You need a letter from her employer that she will be on leave this day until this day. maybe to support this, she can submit a copy of her company id or certificate of employment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We aren't married or defacto, but we do have a relationship. I guess on one hand, addressing her as girlfriend could make officials think she's more likely to overstay. Addressing her as friend could affect future residency visas.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Proof of a relationship is important later, if that's what may happen.

A girlfriend or friend now will mean you can not use this visa as evidence of a 12 month relationship later (if an application is planned or done in less than 12 months time).

All stand a risk of increased overstay - how would you view it if it were you being the Case Officer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks mate you've confirmed my thoughts, just wanted to check. I'll call the relationship as it is - girlfriend. At the end of the day the case officer will draw his/her own conclusions anyway if I say friend and as you say it removes option of using the time up until now as relationship evidence.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.